Center for Continuing Studies
Legal Nurse Consultant Certificate
Our seven-week online course combines your medical training with the legal expertise needed for a career as a legal nurse consultant.
Our Legal Nurse Consultant course is in two flexible online formats:
- Online Format: Complete in just seven weeks via instructor-led sessions
- Weekly assignments are due at specified times
- Online support from instructor available as needed
- Online Flex Format: Complete online at your own pace within four months
- Access your online course 24/7
- Completely self-paced
In our 42-hour course, you'll develop the skills needed to find full- or part-time work:
- as an employee or independent contractor of a law firm.
- in the clinical setting and consulting with a law firm.
- as an expert witness.
- in risk-management with an insurance company or hospital.
Who should attend?
- Any medical professional interested in the legal field can benefit from this course.
- Anyone interested in forensic testimony and medical-legal issues.
Students should know:
- Participants without a registered nurse background might not be able to take the Legal Nurse Consultant Certified exam after graduation.
- LNCC is a discretionary test for experienced registered nurses graduating from this class.
- RNs graduating from this course need not take the LNCC exam to practice as legal nurse consultants.
The course includes:
- Assignments and weekly quizzes.
- An introduction to the law and legal nurse consultants
- Ethics, standards of care and the profession of legal nurse consulting
- Medical malpractice, licensure, case analysis and legal practice areas
- Criminal law, complex litigation, medical records and informed consent
- The role of the LNC in litigation
- Other roles and work environments for the LNC
What you earn
Successful graduates earn a certificate of completion from St. Cloud State University, and a certificate of course hours completed from The Center for Legal Studies.
Our course complies with the educational guidelines of the American Association of Legal Nurse Consultants. The Colorado Nurses Association, an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation, approved this continuing nursing education activity.
Medical Professional Legal Consultant