Center for Continuing Studies
Advanced Legal Research and Writing Certificate
Our course teaches the advanced and specialized research approaches to using a law library and online research sites.
You'll learn the conceptual differences between computer-assisted legal research and hard copy research. You'll also learn how to formulate WESTLAW® search queries and to use online legal research methods as timesaving devices.
- You must have completed the core Paralegal Certificate Course or have one year paralegal experience prior to enrolling in this course.
- Legal authorities and citations
- Writing legal analysis
- WESTLAW® online legal research
- The Legal Memorandum of law
- Manual legal research
- Types of legal writing
- Complete reading and homework assignments
- Assigned advanced legal research project
- Assigned advanced legal writing assignment
- Final research and writing projects presented for grading
What you earn
Successful graduates earn a certificate of completion from St. Cloud State University, and a certificate of course hours completed from The Center for Legal Studies.