Teaching, Learning, Technology Roundtable

Notes for 1/30/09

In attendance:  Kristi Tornquist, J.C. Turner, Kristin Lyman, Phil Thorson, Mark Kotcho, Daryl Scholz, Sara Grachek, Mario Felix,  Carol Rose, Casey Wagner, Dan Wildeson, Eric Dietz, Jamie Stuart, Marcelyn Smale, Rich Josephson, Ilya Yakovlev, Doug Polley, Maria Womack, Keith Ewing

Co-chair Doug Polley indicated he may have to step down because of a potential conflict with his department’s meetings on Friday afternoons.   Doug will confirm this and Marceyln Smale will ask TPR if they would prefer to have the TLTR meeting time be changed or if they would prefer to nominate a new TLTR co-chair.

The following topics were discussed –

Vista Update

  • Since last December, Vista has been added to 204 computers in Miller Center labs and it seems to be working well.
  • Vista has been added to two e-classrooms, and technicians are currently in the process of checking with the faculty using the rooms.  There seems to be no major problems so far.
  • The technical staff is putting together an analysis of which machines campus wide can install Vista.   It is believe that about 950 computers will not be able to make the change to Vista.
  • Faculty/staff computers are only being upgraded by request;
  • Some software and document scanners may need to be replaced when using Vista.
  • About 60% of students living on campus already have Vista on their computers.

Action Items

  • Kristi will take the list of machines that are not Vista read to Academic Affairs
  • Marcelyn will review this list at TPR, Phil will help Marcelyn with any information needed

Technology Day Feedback

  • Members of the Technology Day planning committee who were present welcomed feedback on the  January 8th event.   It was noted that President Potter said it was a success and has requested that we plan Technology Days for the future.
  • Some of the comments included:
    • One of the participants was very impressed with the day
    • It  was a great way to bring people together and to see what technology others were using
    • There was positive feedback on the student parlors and it may be useful to explore this more in upcoming Technology Day
    • Student participants enjoyed presenting and also learned from attendees
    • What time of the year is best for this event (would this be disruptive to classes if held later in January or during a semester)?
  • These comments and others are being reviewed by the planning group.   If people have additional comments and/or are interested in joining the effort to plan a future event, please contact Dan Wildeson or Kristi Tornquist.

Wikis

  • The Wiki Working Group is in the early stage of planning, some of the issues are-
    • Define what we want
    • Authentication
    • How should Wikis be hosted, and what tools should be used?
    • How should Wikis be supported?
    • There is no Wiki option currently available to everyone on campus
    • It is important to have the same login as HuskyNet
    • There is a need to gather more detail about different Wiki tools to be able to answer questions
    • What features are valuable?
    • Is there value in trying different tools and how do we support them?
    • We might need a pilot.  How does this fit into a timeline?
    • Can this group also take on Blogs or should this be a different group? It might be a good idea to bring this into one group because they are closely related or possibly a parallel working group would also work. Many people do not know which the best choice for their purposes.
    • “Educational Leader” had an article with good suggestions on Blogs and Wikis
    • The HelpDesk has a Wiki product and people are asking about it
  • More conversation is needed and the group welcomes more employees interested  in Wikis
  • A suggestion was made to have an online discussion on this topic, this may invite more participation; a virtual meeting space also would be good
  • When the email  on TLTR goes out on Announce a recap of the Wiki Working Group would be good or possibly a link to this group’s meeting notes on the TLTR Sharepoint Site
  • The group will make recommendations and develop a timeline; it would be nice to have it by Fall 09

Action Items

  • Dan W and Phil will look at a way to make an online discussion more interactive
  • Marcelyn will take this discussion to TPR
  • Casey will put together a Wiki document and give it to Marcelyn for TPR
  • Sara will put together a document on Blogs and bring it back to TLTR

Mobile Devices

  • A document was distributed  (see attachment (21kb .xls)) outlining issues and opportunities brainstormed last fall.  It might be a good idea to put together a mobile device group to more thoroughly review these changing technologies, the associated regulations, and SCSU’s investment and focus. Some things this group could do:
    • Make recommendations on best products
    • Look at how to provide support
    • Look at issues and opportunities
    • Look at usability and testing
    • Look at the big picture

Action Items

  • Marcelyn will bring this to TPR

Next meeting dates:  Atwood seems to be a good location and TLTR will meet in 2 weeks 2/13/09.   Additional dates are set, pending TPR’s recommendation, for February 27, March 6, March 20, April 3, April 17, and May 1st.  

Meeting notes – Sheila Landucci