Teaching, Learning, Technology Roundtable

TLTR Notes for 2/8/2008

In attendance: Kristi Tornquist, Doug Polley,  Kristen Lyman, Mark Kotcho, Casey Wagner, Phil Thorson, Sara Grachek, Daryl Scholz, Marcus Pohl, Lauren McGee, Tom Hergert, George Fiedler, Kim Ohmann, Mike Evans

Kristi Tornquist chaired the meeting.  The next meeting will review 5.7, 5.8 (copies were distributed) 5.9, 5.9.1, 5.9.2, 5.10

 

  1. Process for allocating Office of the Chancellor IT funding  (Kristi)

-There is a possibility of new funding for additional projects being available; we are starting the consultation phase in advance of an official announcement.
-Materials were distributed to SCSU-Announce describing the process.

OOC Funding Process (28 kb Word .doc)
OOC IT Template (49kb Word .doc)

  1. Continuation of Technology Plan review
  2. Teaching  and  Learning Overview (section 5.4)

-This section will be rewritten after we have reviewed all the subsections
-It was recommended that members of the SCSU Assessment Committee should be invited to March 28 meeting for input when section 5.4.4 is discussed
-We may need to talk with other groups about what activities are going on with respect to technology and assessment
-It was recommended that the wording in the fifth bullet in the Goals section be changed to “provide and support and robust and stable IMS platform….”

  1. E-Learning (section 5.4.1)

-We will ask Patty Aceves to review and respond to this section with some help from technical staff for some of the sections.

  1. Classroom Resources (section 5.4.2)

-“Clickers” (classroom response systems) have emerged as a classroom technology since this section was written; we should reference them in both the goals and the discussion
-In fact, it may be best to add a Rich Media section to address these types of technologies
-It was also recommended that we add an Intellectual Property section (Tom H was volunteered and was willing to serve if he a small subcommittee with which to work)
-George's group will amend section 5.4.2 and solicit help as needed.
-It was felt that the Background section could be condensed.

  1. Upgrade to Exchange Server 2003 to 2007 (Casey)

-The upgrade that will be done over Spring Break (March 1-9)
-Outlook accessed on campus will look about the same
               -Outlook accessed from the Web will look different, more like Outlook on campus
-Mailboxes will migrate from old to new in about 1 hour.  If people try to log on and can’t get access then they are being advised to wait an hour and try again
-Informational postcards will go out next week to the campus community
-A reminder email will also be sent out later in the month
-There are currently about 50 people on a pilot program

 

Next meeting:  2/15/08 in Miller Center B18

Notes taken by- Sheila Landucci