Student Code of Conduct
Student Code of Conduct (pdf)
St. Cloud State University aspires to foster an academic community that promotes the intellectual, personal, social and ethical development of its students. To achieve this, the University expects all members of the educational community to create safe environments conducive for the learning, growth and success of everyone.
The St. Cloud State University Student Code of Conduct documents our commitment to upholding these standards and expectations. It ensures a fair and educational process for determining responsibility when student behavior may have deviated from these expectations and provides appropriate educational sanctions when a student and/or student organization has not met the standards set forth in the Student Code of Conduct. Every effort will be made to balance the needs and rights of the individual and/or the student organization with the welfare of the community as a whole.
St. Cloud State University has developed regulations and policies pertaining to students and student organizations. Students and student organizations are expected to be familiar with St. Cloud State University policies. Any student or student organization alleged to have violated an established policy or regulation of the University, no matter when discovered, is subject to the student conduct process according to the provisions outlined in the St. Cloud State University Student Code of Conduct. The regulations and policies should be interpreted broadly and are not designed to define misconduct in exhaustive terms. Additionally, charges of violations of local ordinances, state or federal laws may subject a student and/or student organization to the University conduct process. The Student Code of Conduct does not replace or reduce the requirements of civil or criminal laws.
Personal conduct on University-owned or University-controlled property or at University activities is subject to University jurisdiction. The University also may enforce its student conduct policy and procedures, regardless of where misconduct occurs, when personal or organizational conduct directly, seriously, or adversely interferes with or disrupts the educational mission, programs, or other functions of the University. The University reserves the right to take necessary action to protect the safety and welfare of the University community.
Examples of when St. Cloud State University may hold students and/or student organizations accountable for a violation of the Student Code of Conduct committed off campus include, but are not limited to the following:
- Hazing; or
- Sexual and other violence; or
- The violation is committed when participating in a University affiliated, sanctioned or sponsored activity; or
- The victim and/or perpetrator of the violation is a member of the University community; or
- Underage consumption, open container, hosting underage drinking, and sale or providing of alcohol to underage students; or
- Possessing, selling or distributing illicit drugs; or
- The violation adversely affects the educational, research, or service functions of the University; or
- Violating city ordinances, state or federal laws.
Student Rights and Responsibilities
Student freedoms and rights include, but are not limited to:
- Freedom of inquiry, speech and assembly.
- Freedom from threats.
- Freedom from acts of violence.
- Freedom from unfair or obscene treatment from others.
- Freedom from interference from others in an unreasonable and unauthorized manner while in class, activities and public events.
- Freedom from theft and willful destruction of personal property.
- Right to study and to learn in an atmosphere of academic freedom.
- Right to procedural due process in the University student conduct process.
- Right to be governed by justifiable academic regulations.
- Right to be informed of the regulations for academic and social conduct, and graduation requirements of the University.
- Right to petition for redress of grievances, academic and nonacademic.
- Right to be informed in writing of alleged violations of the Student Code of Conduct.
Each student has the responsibility:
- To respect others’ rights, their property, and University property.
- To recognize that one’s choices and actions reflect upon self and the University community.
- To recognize the University has an obligation to provide environments that are conducive to learning and inquiry.
- To be fully acquainted with University policies and procedures, including the Student Code of Conduct.
- To adhere to the academic requirements determined by individual faculty, the colleges, schools and St. Cloud State University.