What will I gain from a degree in statistics?
A degree in statistics provides the student with the following:
- Ability to recognise patterns in data and to analyze data.
- Experience in preparing reports of statistical work that has been completed.
- A sense of ethics in the application of statistics and in consulting.
- An increased capacity for inquiry and critical judgment.
- An awareness of the extensive applicability of statistics.
- Basic knowledge in applying exploratory data analysis techniques.
- Basic statistical information for carrying out statistical procedures in nonparametric statistics, multivariate statistics, regression analysis, design of experiments and sample surveys.
- Intermediate knowledge about mathematical statistics based on a year-long course.
- A working knowledge of the statistical packages MINITAB, SAS and S-Plus.
- The ability to use the microcomputer to implement the various statistical packages efficiently and productively.
- Preparation for graduate work in statistics or for employment in business or industry as a statistician.