Service Learning Projects in Immigrant Communities
Service learning projects are an excellent method to engage students in their community and to help them learn more about issues related to the experiences of others who are not like them. In this session you will learn about various service learning projects, and the experiences of students, faculty, and community members who were involved in them.
- Faculty members required service learning projects with immigrant/refugee individuals. They will describe the objectives and requirements of each service learning.project, and then conclude with future evaluations of the projects with respect to learning and development of the concept of social justice.
- Isolde Mueller, GER 202 and ENGL 462/FORL 455]
- Theresa Estrem, CSD 230: Global Perspectives in Communication Sciences and Disorders
- Ann Finan, SOC 201 Social Equality
- Students will describe their service learning experiences with immigrant/refugee individuals: How their expectations changed about the project, what they learned about themselves, and how it related to the course content.
- Supervisors of service learners will describe their experiences with SCSU students and faculty.