Agency Field Manual
SCSU and Social Work Mission and Goals
The social work program at SCSU is built upon these mission statements, program goals, and accreditation requirements
Mission and Vision of St. Cloud State University
St. Cloud State University is committed to excellence in teaching, learning, and service, fostering scholarship and enhancing collaborative relationships in a global community.
St. Cloud State University will be a leader in scholarship and education for excellence and opportunity in a global community.
Mission of the SCSU Department of Social Work
The mission of the Department of Social Work at St. Cloud State University is to use an anti-oppression lens, with a focus on race, class and gender, to inform both its educational environment and educational programs. Faculty, staff and students commit to an experiential and transformative educational process that will challenge them to think critically and analyze systemic inequalities in the United States and the world. This process will prepare professional social workers to work as change agents in a diverse world.
SCSU Social Work Program Accreditation
Bachelor of Science
The Council on Social Work Education accredits the Social Work Program at St. Cloud State University. Graduates of the social work program receive a Bachelor of Science degree in social work (BSW). The BSW program is based on a generalist model of social work practice with a liberal arts foundation.
Goals of the BSW program at St. Cloud State University
- Educate social workers who are grounded in the liberal arts and understand the responsibilities of citizenship.
- Develop students' identity as social workers who understand the connections between individual well-being and the creation of a just society.
- Educate students who recognize cultural and global diversity and are committed to the development of social policies and service delivery systems that embrace this diversity.
- Prepare generalist social work practitioners who are able to integrate professional knowledge, skills, values, and ethics necessary for beginning level practice.
Master of Social Work
The Council on Social Work Education accredits the Social Work Graduate Program at St. Cloud State University. Graduates of the graduate level social work program receive a Masters of Social Work (MSW). The MSW program is based on a advanced generalist model of social work with a liberal arts foundation.
Goals of the MSW program at St. Cloud State University
- To educate advanced generalist social workers who are grounded in the liberal arts and in the values and ethics, theories and practice interventions of the social work profession.
- To prepare highly skilled and culturally competent advanced generalist social workers who actively seek to create change. promote social justice, and human well-being at all system levels.
- To educate advanced generalist social workers to think critically; conduct research; and to analyze social welfare policies, practice, and research, in order to advocate for social justice at all levels.
- Prepare advanced generalist social workers to assume leadership positions in public and private sectors to effect social change and influence public policy.