Residential Life Students eating in Garvey

International Students


Welcome International Students   Some Tips

Greetings and Welcome to St. Cloud State University! The Department of Residential Life wishes you a warm welcome and we are excited about your interest in the on-campus housing experience. We have put together some information to answer any questions that you might have and to make your experience the best it can be. If you wish you get more information about each of our ten unique residence halls, please visit our website at On this site you will find everything about room and board rates, student testimonials, frequently asked questions and specific information on each of our halls.

Please note that International students should request the following residence halls when applying for housing as these buildings will remain open during the university break periods. Lawrence, Case-Hill, Shoemaker, Mitchell, Sherburne,Coborn Plaza Apartments, Stateview Apartments and Benton Hall.

Please be sure that you read your housing agreement thoroughly. When you complete and sign your housing agreement, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions as found on that document.  Please note that you are agreeing to an academic year agreement which runs from August-May.  If you decide that you want to live off campus after you have completed and signed this form, you will be responsible for costs associated with both semesters. Lastly, for additional information that applies specifically to International students, please visit the following link which provides you with more information about SCSU.

Welcome Again! We are most delighted you are planning on making St. Cloud State University your new home.


Listed below are some important tips for you:

Be sure you have a place to live prior to leaving your country. Make all housing and travel arrangements in advance.

Students will not be eligible for on-campus housing until a completed and signed housing application has been completed and turned into our office along with a $250 prepayment.

Please note that all on-campus housing applications are processed and assigned in the order they are received. It is in your advantage to apply and make your prepayment early as this will ensure you a space in one of our residence halls.

Have a credit card available to make any hotel reservations that you might need and to put down any deposits or to pay for any bills.

If you desire off campus housing, you can find available apartments/roommates/home rentals through the following websites: and The first link is our local newspaper in which you can find apartments and rental information and the second link is our University newspaper which will also have information to assist you.

Special note to students studying in the MBA program, you may want to consult your instructor/program about class location. In the past, some of the MBA grad courses were taught off campus.

Know these Terms:

Lease: a legally binding rental contract
Landlord: the owner of the building
Tenant: the person renting the apartment or room
Security Deposit: an amount of money that must be paid in advance of your moving in. This is usually one or two month's rent.
Utilities: services like electricity, water, gas (for heat or hot water), telephone and cable tv.


Untitled Document