Psychology Department Advising Center
Advising Coordinator: Dr. Joe Melcher
Main Office: WH 102
To make an appointment with Dr. Melcher, Dept. Chair, please call Linda Williams, Office Manager (320) 308-5659 or email Dr. Melcher
Forms (in pdf)
We are prepared to assist students in fulfilling their Liberal Education Program requirements in conjunction with a psychology major. Psychology majors have diverse interests and their courses of study may vary. To guide your planning for graduating from St. Cloud State University in four years with a psychology major, we have prepared degree maps (scroll down to Psychology and pick the one that applies to you). Your own journey may be different, so it is a good idea to take advantage of this website, the peer advisors, your faculty advisor, and the undergraduate catalog.
Peer advisors help intended major select courses, provide your access code, and answering questions about the PSY major and/or liberal education program. They can also help you complete your psychology major application before you meet with your faculty advisor.
Please contact your psychology faculty advisor if you have questions about how to prepare for your future beyond SCSU.
Other helpful resources
If you are unsure about your major, the university has a number of resources.
- Advising Center for the university located in Centennial Hall 210 can help with selecting a major.
- Career services in Centennial Hall 215 also provides assistance in helping students selecting a major. Their website has a number of self assessments that try to match your aptitudes and interests with potential majors and careers and information about careers associated with different majors.
Need an access code?
All intended majors must see a peer advisor for their access code each term. Faculty members do NOT provide access codes. Intended majors must always have an access code.
When do I meet with my faculty advisor?
Students should meet with their faculty advisor when they are applying for the major. The meeting is most productive to bring the major application with your course work indicated on the sheet. The peer advisors can assist students with completing the application. Each professor makes their own appointments.
Not sure who your advisor is?
- You can logon to e-services, click on grades and transcripts, and then select degree audit report. Your advisor’s name is listed under student information approximately a half a page from the top.
- You can also go to the advisor lookup application at https://www5.stcloudstate.edu/Advising/AdvisorLookup/. You will need to login with your tech id.
How do I change my intended major?
If you want to change your intended major, you can enter the information at https://www5.stcloudstate.edu/advising/advisorchangemajor/. You will need to login with your tech id. You can also submit a paper version of change of program available in the Psychology main office (WH 102) or the University Advising Center (CH 210).
How do my psychology course credits transfer to SCSU?
To find out how psychology courses from other colleges or universities transfer to SCSU, please make an appointment with Dr. Melcher. It is helpful if you bring any information about the courses such as an official course description or syllabus.
Where can you find the most up to date information about course offerings?
- You can use the searchable course schedule from Records and Registration at http://www5.stcloudstate.edu/registrar/courseschedule/Search.aspx.
- You can also logon onto e-services and select registration.
Need help with registration?
- Call the helpline at 320-308-2111. There is someone available from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday during the academic year.
- You can also email your questions at email@example.com.