Students who want to focus on the technology and design aspects of theatre will quickly put their skills to work at St. Cloud State. You'll find high expectations for working on the department's many productions delivered from modern theatrical facilities. You will build an understanding of the collaborations necessary in theatre and have access to some of the latest technology and developments in production. You'll build problem-solving skills and be encouraged to take creative risks as you earn credits in scenery creation, costume development, sound engineering, lighting and publicity/box office.
- Faculty and students regularly attend and compete at regional and national levels of the United States Institute for Theatre Technology (USITT) and in the Kennedy Center/American College Theatre Festival (ACTF).
- Lab sessions paired with technical and performance courses enable students to incorporate and apply classroom theory to actual theatre production.
- A scenic studio, costume studio and sound production studio aid classroom learning and production work.
- Competitive tuition scholarships awarded on promise, talent and scholastic performance.
- Performing Arts Center includes the 400-seat Center Stage, the Arena Stage and the 300-seat Ruth Gant Recital Hall.
- Script library that contains thousands of play scripts and texts for research and consultation.
- Accreditation through the National Association of Schools of Theatre (NAST).
- Alumni working across the profession and across the country in universities, professional and amateur theatre companies.
University Facts & Stats
- 1,100+ international students
- 39 Education Abroad programs offered
- Commitment to carbon neutrality by 2035
- One of the top producers of U.S. Fulbright Scholars in 2012-2013
- Top 1% of the most affordable universities in Forbes' "America's Top Colleges" ranking
- Technical Director/Stage Manager
- Set/Property Designer
- Light/Sound Technician
- Costume Designer
- Prop Manager