Social Studies Education
Social Studies Education
Social studies majors build a broad base of knowledge and skills for teaching 5th-12th grade students. You'll be schooled in economics, geography, history, political science, psychology and sociology and choose one of those as an emphasis. You'll be encouraged to pair that with a global learning experience. You'll work across departments to marry modern teaching tools to tried-and-true teaching methods that serve students of varying levels of ability. You'll also learn how to build a curriculum and experiences for students that keep social studies learning interesting and engaging by observing experienced teachers at work and practicing your techniques in schools.
- Majors pursue a Bachelor of Science degree in either:
- Coursework and fieldwork develops a strong background in civics education.
- Travel and study abroad opportunities through a variety of travel opportunities, including the option to do student teaching abroad.
- An engaged, active Social Studies Club that attends conferences, travels both internationally and domestically and hosts nationally recognized guest speakers.
- Well-traveled faculty with diverse backgrounds and experiences to bring to the classroom.
- Interdisciplinary approach prepares students for graduate studies in the social sciences, international fields and law.
- Innovative co-teaching initiative designated as a 2010 Renaissance Group "Signature Project," and "Promising Practice" by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education.
- Accreditation by National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE)/Council for the Accreditation of Education Preparation (CAEP).
- Licensure programs approved by Minnesota Board of Teaching.
- Director of Social Studies Education Kyle Ward is the author of five books on social studies education.
- Social Studies Club
- History Club
- Future Educators Club
University Facts & Stats
- Teachers from 23 states completed St. Cloud State's co-teaching workshops
- $106 million in scholarships loans and grants
- 31% increase in Honors Program enrollment in fall 2013
- 1 of 56 Higher Education Excellence in Diversity (HEED) award winners
- 39 Education Abroad programs offered
- Top 1% of the most affordable universities in Forbes' "America's Top Colleges" ranking
- Social Studies Teacher
- History/Geography Teacher
- Economics Teacher
- Sociology Teacher
- High School/Middle School Teacher
- Curriculum Specialist
- Historic Preservation