Students who choose the physics education major will combine science courses with education courses to prepare for teaching middle school and high school students. You'll work closely with the physics department and School of Education advisers from the beginning to ensure completion of the right combination of courses to earn the teaching license. Along the way, you'll have access to St. Cloud State's advanced research labs, planetarium and faculty research. You'll learn how to design curriculum and lab work that will engage your students and build their interest in science careers.
- Research labs in optics, materials, observational astronomy and computational physics.
- Faculty-student research collaboration encouraged
- State-of-the-art lasers available for curriculum and research.
- A full-sized planetarium in remodeled Robert H. Wick Science building.
- Rooftop observatory with 6-, 8- and 11-inch telescopes and attachments for viewing solar flares and sunspots, photometric studies and astrophotography.
- Faculty research programs in theoretical nuclear physics, theoretical quantum mechanics, laser spectroscopy, materials development and testing, planetary science, extragalactic astronomy and stellar astronomy.
- School of Education accreditation by National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE).
- All teaching licensure programs approved by the Minnesota Board of Teaching.
- New laboratories in the recently opened 100,000-square-foot Integrated Science and Engineering Laboratory Facility (ISELF).
- NASA will send a device designed by physics professor John Harlander into orbit as part of a 2017 Explorer satellite mission.
University Facts & Stats
- 100 teacher prep institutions learn co-teaching through the Teacher Quality Enhancement Center
- 2013 Senator Paul Simon Award for Comprehensive Internationalization
- 45,000 middle and high school students served by Science Express, a mobile science lab
- $106 million in scholarships loans and grants
- 1 of 56 Higher Education Excellence in Diversity (HEED) award winners
- Physics Teacher
- Science Teacher