New Media - Music and Art
Students who choose to minor in new media will find an experience that introduces them to the intellectual, creative and technical skills associated with new media. You will be introduced to studio and field audio recording, mixing, digital signal processing, synthesis and sound design as well as a range of skills in visual media. In the visual arts you can choose from interactive digital media, video production and digital photography.
- Students can choose their elective courses based on their interests in audio or visual media.
- Encourages interdisciplinary experimentation and the synthesis of audio and visual production
- Complements any major.
- State-of-the-art Music Technology Lab prepares students for the future of teaching, creating and performing music.
- Department conferences attract hundreds of professional composers and electro-acoustic musicians to campus and have included the 2014 MN Made musical robotics festival, 2012 Kyma International Sound Symposium and the 2010 Society for Electro-Acoustic Music international conference.
- Kiehle Visual Arts Center houses ceramics, wet-based photography and printmaking; large studio classrooms for painting, drawing, sculpture, and art education; student studios; a woodshop; a metal shop; and several large computer labs and a digital project lab that support graphic design, digital photography, video and multimedia.
University Facts & Stats
- $50,000 in music scholarships awarded annually
- 1 million hours of campus, community volunteer service
- 39 Education Abroad programs offered
- 2013 Senator Paul Simon Award for Comprehensive Internationalization
- 1 of 17 schools in the Centre for Medieval & Renaissance Studies Consortium, Oxford, England
- Music Industry