For students majoring in mathematical economics, it's all about the numbers, but you will also learn economic theory, computational methods and analysis. You will study with faculty in the Department of Economics and the Department of Mathematics and Statistics. Your training will get you ready to do research and technical work in industries such as marketing, banking and finance; as well as for government agencies and private organizations here at home and around the world. Campus activities, organizations and strong internships will offer you opportunities to build leadership skills and connect with professionals in the field.
- Twelve full-time economics faculty members with doctorates, a passion for economics, and diverse teaching and research experience.
- Access to the Statistical Consulting & Research Center in a new $45 million Integrated Science & Engineering Laboratory Facility (ISELF) for research.
- High earning potential due to high demand for economics knowledge and skills in the workplace.
- Undergraduate work is solid foundation for graduate studies in economics, applied mathematics and statistics and finance engineering.
- Faculty research published in books and journals such as American Economic Review; Journal of Money, Credit and Banking; and Journal of Public Economics.
- An annual Winter Institute gathers the best minds on economic issues and draws an audience from across the Midwest. It has hosted such notables as Milton Friedman and Federal Reserve Chairman Benjamin Bernanke.
- Home of the Center for Economic Education, which aids in the preparation of the "St. Cloud Quarterly Business Report," a quarterly data release which profiles the St. Cloud and Central Minnesota economies.
- Notable alumnus: James Bullard '84 is president and CEO of the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Economics Association
- Statistics Club
- Math Club
- Delta Sigma Pi
- International Relations/Global Issues
University Facts & Stats
- 31% increase in Honors Program enrollment in fall 2013
- $106 million in scholarships loans and grants
- 1 of 56 Higher Education Excellence in Diversity (HEED) award winners
- 90+ nations represented on campus
- Top 1% of the most affordable universities in Forbes' "America's Top Colleges" ranking
- Market Research Analyst
- Business Executive
- Economic/Investment/Financial Analyst
- Compensation Manager
- Loan Officer
- Credit Analyst