As a mass communications student you'll find a multitude of options for study in your preferred media field – television, radio, print, web, social and digital media, public relations or advertising. You've chosen a field that is constantly evolving in theory, strategy and technology. Your classrooms and faculty are evolving, too. You'll mix classroom instruction with hands-on experience in the latest techniques and technologies. You'll be mentored by faculty, many who also work as media professionals. You'll build skills and practice your craft at award-winning campus television and radio stations, web and print publications. Practical internships provide an additional stage.
- Bachelor of Science degrees offered in:
- Updated and renovated HD television facilities that include two production studios, three sports venues, two production control rooms, a central equipment room, media room, master control center and 12 editing suites.
- Centrally-located radio (88.1FM KVSC), television (UTVS) and newspaper (University Chronicle) facilities, as well as computer and photo labs in Stewart Hall.
- Advanced software including InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator.
- Faculty recognized for academic and professional work who encourage international travel and study to acquire a global perspective, and who contribute to textbooks and conduct timely research.
- Active student organizations with a rich tradition of excellence and awards.
- Select classes are available online.
- Top National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences (NATAS) and Broadcast Education Association awards for UTVS-TV.
- Numerous American Advertising Federation ADDY Awards awarded to advertising majors.
- Society of Professional Journalist awards for print, radio and television productions.
- One of two Minnesota schools with accreditation by Accrediting Council on Education in Journalism and Mass Communications.
- KVSC radio has 45-years-plus history in sports and news broadcast.
- Notable alumni: Clay Matvick '96 is a sportscaster for the ABC and ESPN networks; Tina Gust '97 is vice president of business development at Minor League Baseball.
- Advertising Federation of St. Cloud State (AdFed)
- KVSC-FM (University radio station)
- Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA)
- Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ)
- University Chronicle (Campus Newspaper)
- University Television Station (UTVS)
- National Association of Black Journalists (NABJ) (National affiliation pending)
University Facts & Stats
- 1,100+ international students
- 1 million hours of campus, community volunteer service
- NCAA Division I men's and women's hockey teams
- $4.8 million HD TV broadcasting renovation
- 1 of 56 Higher Education Excellence in Diversity (HEED) award winners
- Top 1% of the most affordable universities in Forbes' "America's Top Colleges" ranking
- Multimedia Journalist
- Publications/Graphic/Web Design
- Public relations/Media Relations
- Social Media Strategist