Latin American Studies
Latin American Studies
When you choose the Latin American Studies program, you will learn about the people, lands and cultures of Latin America and their interactions with the rest of the world. You'll study their language and their history as well as the social, economic, environmental and international issues facing the countries of that region. You will complete a year of coursework in Spanish or Portuguese and be encouraged to travel to view situations first-hand. Through service-learning projects and internships, you'll have opportunities to work alongside those hoping to improve their corner of the world.
- International study and travel encouraged with opportunities for semester-long or short-term programs in Chile and Costa Rica as well as Europe and Japan.
- Community engagement and service learning encouraged.
- Internship opportunities available in organizations such as Minnesota International Center, American Association of University Women, Humanity in Action and United Nations Association.
- Preparation for a range of careers including work with local immigration advocacy groups, global NGOs such as Oxfam, businesses that think and work globally or agencies of the United Nations or the Department of State.
- Participation in annual Student Research Colloquium encouraged.
- Accreditation by the Higher Learning Commission; member of the North Central Association.
- Faculty includes a Fulbright scholar engaged in research into market liberalization and democracy in Chile, intercultural communication and immigrant workers in Minnesota.
- St. Cloud State is home of the award-winning weekly "UTVS News En Español" newscast, the only regularly produced Spanish-speaking newscast produced by Minnesota college students.
- Latin American Student Association
- Spanish Club
- Global Horizons Club
- International Relations /Model UN Club
University Facts & Stats
- 92% of global studies graduates are employed
- $106 million in scholarships loans and grants
- 39 Education Abroad programs offered
- More than 600 student veterans and active military enrolled
- 1 of 56 Higher Education Excellence in Diversity (HEED) award winners
- Public Policy Specialist
- Community Affairs Expert
- Cultural Affairs Officer
- Immigration Officer
- International Consultant