Students who choose an intercultural communication major will prepare to work effectively in a culturally diverse and increasingly interdependent world. You'll be introduced to the dynamics, opportunities and challenges of communicating with people from all kinds of backgrounds and traditions. You'll master problem-solving and critical-thinking skills as well as intercultural communication principles. You'll explore opportunities to use them locally, nationally and abroad. The leadership skills you develop will be valued in personal as well as professional situations. And, your degree will complement many areas of study to create a unique opportunity for work in your fields of interest.
- Education Abroad opportunities that build global communication skills and perspective.
- Extensive on-campus and community activities that enhance multicultural and global learning perspectives.
- Committed faculty with extensive backgrounds either as a participant in or leader of international study opportunities.
- Diversity in internship experiences through a variety of businesses, nonprofits and charitable organizations.
- Active student groups are competitive, inclusive and provide leadership opportunities as well as social interaction.
- One of the top 5 programs in degrees granted for 11 years.
- Core classes occur in smart classrooms in Riverview, the only campus building on the National Register of Historic Places.
- 10 scholarship funds focus on communication studies.
- Notable alumni: Justin Wampach '95 is owner, president and chief executive officer of Adjuvant Technologies, a provider of software for physician scheduling and an on-call management system, and co-founder and former president of Digital Green. Brian Schoenborn '92 counsels businesses in sports, entertainment, high technology and manufacturing as managing partner of Leonard, Street and Deinard.
University Facts & Stats
- 93% of communications studies graduates employed
- Tobacco-free campus since 2012
- Top 1% of the most affordable universities in Forbes' "America's Top Colleges" ranking
- $106 million in scholarships loans and grants
- More than 200 student organizations
- 1 of 56 Higher Education Excellence in Diversity (HEED) award winners
- Speech Writer
- Press Secretary
- Publications Editor
- Foreign Correspondent
- Community Affairs Liaison