Majors in the global studies program cross disciplines to study how nations and states act on a global stage. Your courses will help you examine diverse perspectives on the human condition. You will analyze the interactions of international government and non-government organizations and regimes. You will dissect their relationships, conflicts and their efforts to create global order. Through your courses, activities, work in the field and study abroad you'll learn to think and act on a global scale. You will graduate with a global education that will make you aware of the diversity and interdependence of international communities.
- Collaboration with African Studies, East Asian Studies and Latin American Studies programs.
- Preparation for range of careers that reaches from local immigration advocacy groups to work for some of the largest global NGOs such as Oxfam or United Nations agencies and includes employment in the U.S. State Department.
- Up to 12 credits allowed for study abroad through any of 32 programs including sessions in South Africa, Wales, Ukraine, Italy and Ghana.
- Global spectrum of awareness-building internships, fellowships and service-learning opportunities through operations such as the Minnesota International Center, Global Engagement Summer Institute, Humanity in Action, United Nations Association, U.S. State Department and Women in Progress.
- Select classes are available online.
- Accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
- Member of the North Central Association.
- Dr. Mikhail Blinnikov, director of the Global Studies program and coordinator of the geography graduate program, is author of the new textbook "Geography of Russia and Its Neighbors."
- SCSU Survey research center is recognized nationally for its work on political issues.
- International Relations/Model UN Club
- Global Issues Forum
- International Students Association
- Student Government
University Facts & Stats
- 92% of global studies graduates employed
- 39 Education Abroad programs offered
- 90+ nations represented on campus
- 1,100+ international students
- 2013 Senator Paul Simon Award for Comprehensive Internationalization
- International Banking
- Diplomacy/Foreign Affairs
- Customs Inspector
- Intelligence Analyst
- Airline and Rail Services