As a student in English Studies, you will have the opportunity to take classes from a broad range of topics including literature, rhetoric, creative writing and linguistics. You will develop a sensitivity to nuances and patterns in language, an appreciation of ambiguity, and creative and critical habits that will deepen your understanding of the function and purpose of texts. Along the way, you will learn professional skills that will make you a strong candidate for a variety of rewarding careers.
- An active, engaged faculty committed to student success
- Internships at professional organizations with language-rich, challenging environments
- Study abroad opportunities worldwide, including Alnwick Castle (England) and Mary Immaculate College (Ireland)
- Student editing and publication opportunities in The Upper Mississippi Harvest, Kaleidoscope, and Linguistic Portfolios
- Select classes are available online.
- Recent graduates have gone on to writing, editing and brand management jobs at 3M, Gander Mountain and Cricket Media
- The Write Place, St. Cloud State’s writing center, employs more than 30 student writing consultants who help thousands of students each year
University Facts & Stats
- 93% of English graduates employed
- 39 Education Abroad programs offered
- 1 of 56 Higher Education Excellence in Diversity (HEED) award winners
- 90+ nations represented on campus
- Top 1% of the most affordable universities in Forbes' "America's Top Colleges" ranking
- Social media/brand management