Students who earn a minor in Chicana/o studies examine the Mexican-American experience through a variety of courses and workshops and service opportunities. You'll work to develop an understanding of the culture by building knowledge of the history, contributions, social and cultural development and the intellectual and creative expressions of the Chicana/o community. You'll find the multidisciplinary program pairs well with a multitude of majors.
- Opportunities for global and comparative analysis between ethnic minority groups, indigenous communities and their relations in their ancestral homelands.
- Easy translation to a variety of fields such as education, law, mass communication, nonprofit work, sciences, art, business, social work and psychology.
- Development of understanding to be able to work within and empower diverse communities.
- Participation in annual Student Research Colloquium encouraged.
- Active student group promotes higher education, culture and history in its recruiting of Chicanos(as).
- Development underway of an Education Abroad program with El Colegio de San Luis in San Luis Potosi, Mexico, as part of the broader Study Abroad in the Americas initiative, which will include Canada's indigenous communities.
- Award-winning annual Power in Diversity Leadership Conference empowers student and campus leaders to use leadership and mentoring skills for cultural change and social justice and has become a regional force for fostering inclusivity and improving access and retention of diverse campus community members.
- St. Cloud State is home of the award-winning weekly "UTVS News En Español" newscast, the only regularly produced Spanish-speaking newscast broadcast by Minnesota college students.
- Professor Margaret Villanueva serves on the board of directors of Minnesota's Chicano Latino Affairs Council.
- Social Responsibility Student Organization
- Global Horizons Club
- Movimento Estudiantil Chicano de Aztlán (M.E.Ch.A.)
- Latin American Student Association
University Facts & Stats
- $106 million in scholarships loans and grants
- 1 million hours of campus, community volunteer service
- 39 Education Abroad programs offered
- 1 of 56 Higher Education Excellence in Diversity (HEED) award winners
- Top 1% of the most affordable universities in Forbes' "America's Top Colleges" ranking
- Social Worker
- Community Advocate
- Human Resources Officer