Students who study biomedical science are problem-solving visionaries. At St. Cloud State, you'll build a base of knowledge and skills in biology, disease research and technical design to imagine and create medical equipment that improves lives locally, nationally or internationally. You'll learn to use computer skills to show how organs and internal systems work and to test and demonstrate how a body would react to a medical device. Your class and field work will prepare you for work in laboratory and health-related jobs or to continue your study for an advanced degree.
- Strong base of scientific knowledge established through biology, chemistry and physics courses.
- Opportunity to participate in field-based or laboratory-based faculty research on a short-term or long-term basis that may culminate in publishing papers and presentation at scientific conferences.
- High-demand for graduates who complete advanced work.
- Biology Tutoring Center positioned near a new anatomy and physiology suite is open weekdays.
- Collaboration on the Integrated Science and Engineering Laboratory Facility (ISELF) molecular mechanisms of disease research.
- Opportunity to develop relevant skills in classwork, laboratory research and fieldwork with nationally-recognized faculty members.
- Program operates in a state with more than 480 medical device firms registered with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
- Completes preparation for professional study programs required for health-care degrees such as medical doctor, dentist and pharmacist.
- Notable alumnus: Bruce Johnson '83, professor of medicine at Mayo Clinic, studies how the human body reacts to extreme conditions in locations such as Mount Everest.
- American Society of Microbiology
- Medical Professions Association (MPA)
- Pre-Dental Organization
- Pre-Vet Society
University Facts & Stats
- 1 of 56 Higher Education Excellence in Diversity (HEED) award winners
- 31% increase in Honors Program enrollment in fall 2013
- 39 Education Abroad programs offered
- 1 million hours of campus, community volunteer service
- Top 1% of the most affordable universities in Forbes' "America's Top Colleges" ranking
- Laboratory Technician
- Product development
- Clinical Technician
- Forensic Scientist
- Medical Device/Pharmaceutical Sales