Academic Departments & Programs
A. Annual Planning and Performance Measurement Expectations
Consistent with the annual planning expectations in the PCIP, academic departments and programs are expected to engage in annual planning and performance review activities that include an assessment of performance based on department/program goals and outcomes.
At the beginning of each planning cycle, the University will provide annual work plan template, along with planning data to each department/program via the Department/Program Dashboard. Academic departments/programs will use the University Annual Work Plan template and their own strategic plan, program review, accreditation, and assessment, evaluation, and planning data as the basis for annual work planning within their unit.
Each department will develop a set of annual work plans, one for the current fiscal year (AWP) and one for the next fiscal year (AWP+1) using the template provided (Appendix XX). Areas to be included are:
- analysis of data available through Department/Program Dashboard
- progress on Improvement Project (see below)
- the area’s planned initiatives for that fiscal year, such as implementation of specific assessment results
- how those initiatives support the college/unit/university strategic plans
- expected outcomes from those initiatives, including a measurement plan
- estimated resource implications (revenues and/or expenses) for all initiatives
During September, the Dean/Associate will meet with each department/program to review annual plans and performance data. Departments/programs will incorporate feedback from their Dean/Associate Dean into their planning documents and submit final documents to Dean/Associate Dean.
Based on department/program planning documents and college or school-level strategic initiatives, the Dean/Associate Dean will prepare College/School planning documents for submission to the Provost & Vice President of Academic Affairs. Any resource requests related to the planning documents should be submitted at that time.