Strategic Planning Committee
September 24, 2009
Members Present-David DeGroote, Monica Devers, Robin Ewing, Lisa Foss, Sara Grachek, Mark Jaede, Ravi Kalia, Judy Kilborn, Kong-Hee Kim, Diana Lawson, Debra Leigh, Karen Lindgren, Kerry Marrer, Plamen Miltenoff, Amos Olagunju, John Palmer, Dan Pedersen, Mitch Rubinstein, Mahmoud Saffari, Mike Sharp, Richard Shearer, Jim Sherohman, Margaret Villanueva, Casey Wagner, Kay Worner
Members Absent - Anthony Akubue, John Burgeson, Diana Burlison, John Eggers, Jean Hoff, Stephen Hornstein, Abbas Mehdi, Michele Mumm, Kim Oren, David Sikes, Dan Wildeson
Introductions were made due to a number of new members.
Election of co-chair: John Palmer nominated, motion to elect approved by Judy Kilborn and second by David DeGroote.
Handouts: Process & Service Improvement, FY 2010 Work Plan, Proposal for Establishing an Online Council
Strategic Program Appraisal
- Phase I-How the criteria will be used in ranking at university level?
- Meetings will be held with the Deans to discuss how the criteria will be prepared.
- Phase II-Rapid movement to the appraisal process is necessary
- Concerns over the impact of senior faculty versus younger faculty, staffing salaries,
- Identifying process improvements throughout the university
Focus Group Findings-(As stated by group participants; not by the Strategic Planning Committee Members)
This information was collected from 4 Student Life and Development groups and 4 Administrative Affairs groups. These comments represent the most common concerns:
- Students say “ I was told to come here”
- The offices that sent students on didn’t know what else to do with them
- All staff members need to take responsibility in helping wandering students
- Different rules for different people in different offices-no consistency
- Work of absence employee is put on hold until they return. Need cross training
- Stress level is obnoxious
- Systems not followed
- Everything is a special case, so are the policies and processes outdated?
- Give middle management more authority to make decisions
- Attitudes overall result in low service standards
- Lack of communication, problem solving
- Serious IT shortcomings; double entry systems, long lead times, large paper process
- The university has a barrier to change and risk taking
- Lack of recruiting and retention in higher education
LEAN – (Certification training Sept 28-Oct 1, 2009. Next training will be available Jan. 2010)
- Purpose is process improvement; help the university to become more effective and efficient
So as to stay competitive with other institutions, meet our budget goals and provide the best education for our students.
- Lisa Foss and Diana Lawson will continue with the focus group meetings. Lisa Foss has recommended creating a Process & Service Improvement Advisory Group. This group would be responsible for making the recommendations for prioritizing the issues and implementing the changes.
- Proposal was made to have council information presented to the Strategic Planning Committee
- Need to discuss bargaining units, faculty curriculum and create an understanding of online learning.
- Review allocation of funds for online courses, academic quality, advising assessment,
Workload issues and student complaint processes
Work plan 2010 and further Online Council discussion moved to next meeting, October 8, 2009
Future Meeting Dates
Thursday, October 8, 2009; 10:00 am-12:00 pm, Brickyard, Atwood
Thursday, October 15, 2009; 10:00 am-12:00 pm, Voyageurs South, Atwood
Thursday, November 5, 2009; 10:00 am-12:00 pm, Voyageurs North, Atwood
Thursday, November 19, 2009; 10:00 am-12:00 pm, Glacier, Atwood
Thursday, December 3, 2009; 10:00 am-12:00 pm, Glacier, Atwood