Strategic Planning Committee
September 10, 2009
Members Present: President Potter, Devinder Maholtra, John Burgeson, Diana Burlison, David DeGroote, John Eggers, Robin Ewing, Lisa Foss, Sara Grachek, Mark Jaede, Diana Lawson, Debra Leigh, Karen Lindgren, Michelle Mumm, Amos Olagunju, Dan Pedersen, Mitch Rubinstein, Mahmoud Saffari, Jim Sherohman, Casey Wagner, Dan Wildeson, Kay Worner, Judy Kilborn
Members Absent: Monica Devers, Jean Hoff, Kim Oren, John Palmer, Mike Sharp, Richard Shearer, David Sikes
Dan Gregory has stepped down as SPC co-chair because of his new role as AVP for Research and Sponsored Programs.
We will be holding elections at the Sept. 24 meeting. Any faculty member interested in serving as co- chair should contact Lisa Foss.
President Potter and Provost Malhotra visit
President Potter expressed his appreciation for the last year of responding and developing
approaches by the Strategic Planning Committee.
Seven points to Strategic Planning Committee
- Involvement of the committee to the Strategic Planning Appraisal
- Quantitative view focusing on financial health and productivity
- Qualitative view on marketing, cost issues and the competition
- SPC has a role in the beginning to ensure the process is fair, transparent and during the final stage as a forum for programs to discuss recommendations.
- Restructuring Work within units
- VPs will be making recommendations regarding possible areas of restructuring
- SPC's role is to ensure fair and transparent process
- Continue to integrate Budget and Planning
- SPC should be actively engaged in moving the university toward a more integrated planning
- And budgeting process
- Review and development of implementation plan
- Work similar to last year to bring these plans to completion this year
- Engage participants and continue identifying process improvement needs
- Annual Work Plan
- Accuracy of the plan is increasing
- Role of committee is to review content and monitor progress of plan completion
- Institutional Measurement
- Need concrete ways to measure the progress of this institution
- Need to ensure the measures we currently have are the right ones
- Begin discussing our own targets
Information was distributed regarding a Lean Facilitator training opportunity at SCSU Sept. 28-Oct. 1. Those interested in participating should contact Foss.
Concerns raised over implementing the LEAN process and how it will integrate with current
systems. Also, process needs to identify areas of institutional racism in current processes and work to remove them.
Strategic Program Appraisal
Strategic Program Appraisal was distributed. This topic will be open for discussion at the
September 24, 2009 meeting.
Future Meeting Dates
Thursday, September 24, 2009; 10:00 am-12:00 pm, Granite Room, Atwood
Thursday, October 8, 2009; 10:00 am-12:00 pm, Brickyard, Atwood
Thursday, October 15, 2009; 10:00 am-12:00 pm, Brickyard, Atwood
Thursday, November 5, 2009; 10:00 am-12:00 pm, Voyageurs North, Atwood
Thursday, November 19, 2009; 10:00 am-12:00 pm, Glacier, Atwood
Thursday, December 3, 2009; 10:00 am-12:00 pm, Glacier, Atwood