St. Cloud State University
Strategic Planning Committee Minutes
November 10, 2005

Members (Bold if present):  Addo, Edward; Burgeson, John C.; Burlison, Diana; Carlson, Debra; Condon, Frankie; DeGroote,David; Dolan, Joseph; Fisher, Theresia; Foss, Lisa; Grachek Sara; Kasi, Balasubramanian; Kilborn, Judith; Krueger, Patricia; Leigh, Debra; Li, Guihua; Litterst, Judith; Motin Susan; Nook, Mark; Palmer, John; Saffari, Mahmoud; Schoenberger, Annette; Sikes, David; Thorson, Philip; Turkowski, Adelaide; Voelz, Neal; Wentworth, Brenda; Westphal, Donella. (26 – 13 quorum)

Call to order

Convened as a subcommittee at 10:12 a.m.

Convened as a full committee at 10:55 a.m.

Approval of 11/3/05 minutes.

Motion (Kilborn/Schoenberger): To approve the Nov. 3, 2005 minutes. Motion passed.

Call for new agenda items

None.

Old Business:

Retention Planning Retreat:

Foss reported that three potential dates were sent to faculty who were invited to participate in the planning retreat. She has heard from most that they preferred the Dec. 14 date.

New Business

MnSCU Draft Strategic Plan:

Foss was not able to get a copy of the MnSCU plan that was discussed at the Nov. 3 meeting. DeGroote said the plan was distributed at the MnSCU meeting at Ruttgers. Foss will try to locate a copy and bring to the next meeting.

Service Community Performance Indicators:

The committee discussed how to move forward with the remaining indicators. How best to coordinate the university’s strategic plan with other planning efforts on campus was discussed. There were specific concerns about the facilities plan and the budget plan.

The need for a more formalized communication structure between the planning committees and the SPC was identified. Suggestions were to request a formal liaison between the two committees, exchange of committee minutes, or to ask for presentations from those planning committees to address how their plans inform and are informed by the strategic plan.

Motion (Condon/Saffari): To invite Vice President Steve Ludwig to a Strategic Planning Committee meeting to discuss the Facilities Master Plan and how it can be informed by the Strategic Plan. Motion passed.

It was recommended that representatives from the SPC committee with a connection to TLTR would ask that committee to review the Technology performance indicators to make sure they are in line with the campus technology plan.

Motion (Thorson/Voelz): To have Phil Thorson bring the Technology performance indicators to TLTR and TPR to identify potential missing indicators and make recommendations. Motion passed.

It was recommended that representatives from the SPC with a connection to the CARE committee would ask that committee to review the Diversity and Social Justice performance indicators to make sure they are in line with CARE’s strategic plan.

Motion (Leigh/Litterst): To have Debra Leigh bring the Diversity and Social Justice performance indicators to the CARE committee to ensure the Diversity and Social Justice indicators were aligned with the CARE strategic plan. Motion passed.

It was recommended that the development of performance indicators for the first goal of Service Community, which deals with student retention and graduation, be addressed at the retention planning retreat that is being held in December.

Motion (Nook/Litterst): To have Mark Nook and Lisa Foss work with the retention and planning retreat committee to review and refine the performance indicators for Goal A under the Service Community theme. Motion passed.

The second goal under Service Community theme and the entire University Community Relations will need to be addressed by the full committee. It was recommended that the University Community Relations performance indicators be sent to Vice President Jill Rudnitski in University Advancement for her review and recommendation. It was decided that the full SPC committee would discuss the remaining performance indicators at the next SPC meeting.

A committee member raised the point that it was nice for the administration to put the initiatives in the current budget request into the Strategic Themes, but how do we move to the next step?

Fisher asked if it was time to invite the President and Provost to attend a Strategic Planning Committee meeting to discuss how they would like the committee to move forward.

Motion (Schoenberger/Litterst): To invite President Saigo and Provost Spitzer to a Strategic Planning Committee meeting to discuss how future budgets will be tied the strategic plan and the performance measures.

Discussion: A committee member questioned if this was the right time to invite the President and Provost. It was suggested that we wait until the committee has completed more of its work before extending the invitation. It was pointed out that the agenda was set at the discretion of the co-chairs, and they would decide when it was appropriate to invite the President and Provost. 

Motion passed.

Meeting was adjourned at 12 p.m.

Untitled Document