St. Cloud State University
Strategic Planning Committee Minutes
April 4, 2003, 2:00 p.m. Mississippi, Atwood Center
Download minutes [PDF:2 pages]
Members Present: Edward Addo, Sara Grachek, Judith Kilborn, Steve Klepetar, Pat Krueger, Guihua Li, Ali Malekzadeh, Phil Thorson, Jay Vora
Members Absent: Ben Baliga, John Burgeson, Diana Burlison, Theresia Fisher, Lisa Foss, Bonnie Hedin, Andy Larkin, Susan Motin, Joe Opatz, Glen Palm, John Palmer, Chad Sivertson, Mary Soroko, Debbie Tamte-Horan, Karen Thoms, Addie Turkowski, Brenda Wentworth
Approval of March 28 Minutes:
Copies of the March 28th minutes were not available. It was decided to wait to approve them at the next meeting.
New Agenda Items: None
A. Jay Vora met with Provost Spitzer who agreed to ½ reassigned time for the 2003-2004 Strategic Planning chair or co-chairs. Anyone interested in chairing the committee next year should contact Jay Vora.
B. April 7th Lunch Meeting: Members are welcome to attend this meeting from 12:30 until 2:00 in AS 201 (President’s Conference Room). The two consults are Ken Mortimer from NCHEMS and Dr. Kalyan Ghosh, former President of Worcester State College. They will be discussing the university organizational structure. Bring a bag lunch.
C. Web posting of forum feedback: The forum feedback for each of the five priority goals is located on the website (www.stcloudstate.edu/strategicplanning).
D. Discussion of Strategic Priority Goals
- Diversity Social Justice: The committee added KPIs and incorporated comments from the last meeting into the document. Committee approved publishing this on the web site without the KPIs.
- Service Community: The committee made changes to reflect the feedback generated at the last meeting. KPI 2 was added as per suggestions and KPI 4 was modified. Committee approved publishing this on the web site without the KPIs.
- University Community Relations: The committee made changes based on recommendations from the last meeting. Additional minor changes were made at the meeting. Committee approved publishing this on the web site without the KPIs.
- Technology: A suggestion was made to mention that this goal is in alignment with the MnSCU/SCSU Technology Master Plan. Committee approved publishing this on the web site without the KPIs.
- Academic Distinction: There was some discussion on points A and B. Judith Kilborn will make the modifications and send the document to Sara Grachek so it can be published on the web site. Faculty Senate is currently looking at this document. Judy will forward the revisions to Andy Larkin.
Copies of each priority strategic goal will be sent to the various union groups and an announcement will be sent to SCSU-announce after the documents are on the web site.
There was a suggestion to have the revised copies available for the NCHEMS luncheon meeting on April 7th.
E. A discussion regarding SCSU’s organization structure took place.
Various ideas of how to restructure have been discussed at the administrative
level. It was expressed that much dialogue is needed to make any kind
of restructuring successful.
F. KPIs: Committees should work on KPIs for the next meeting on April 18th. There should be a balance of both qualitative and quantitative KPIs. Two to three key KPIs for each goal is sufficient. Service Community and Diversity/Social Justice KPIs were discussed.
Meeting was adjourned.
Next meeting: Friday, April 18 – 2-4 pm - Mississippi Room, Atwood