St. Cloud State University
Strategic Planning Committee Minutes
March 28, 2003, 2:00 p.m. North Glacier Room, Atwood Center
Download minutes [PDF:2 pages]
Members Present: Diana Burlison, Sara Grachek, Bonnie Hedin, Judith Kilborn, Steve Klepetar, Pat Krueger, Edward Addo, Lisa Foss, Brenda Wentworth, Mary Soroko, Jay Vora, Debbie Tamte-Horan, John Palmer, Susan Motin
Members Absent: Ben Baliga, John Burgeson, Theresia Fisher, Andy Larkin, Guihua Li, Phil Thorson, Ali Malekzadeh, Joe Opatz, Glen Palm, Chad Sivertson, Karen Thoms, Addie Turkowski
Approval of March 21 Minutes:
Motion: Moved to approve minutes of March 21. Passed.
New Agenda Items: None
The committee decided to divide the meeting time between continued review of priority goals documents and allowing subgroups time to work on KPIs.
Priority Strategic Goals Discussion:
- Academic Distinction – This goal was discussed at length at the previous meeting. A draft has been given to Faculty Senate.
- Diversity and Social Justice – This goal was also discussed at length at the previous meeting. The revised language for goal 1 is now more positive and proactive while still acknowledging that SCSU has had some problems in this area. Minor changes and edits were suggested to finalize this goal.
- Community Relations - In preparing this document, the subcommitttee was assisted by Lissa Staples, Owen Zimpel and several faculty. Minor changes were suggested to finalize this goal.
- Service Community – Considerable time was spent in discussion of the rationale statements with the majority of committee members favoring the language that identifies a respect for diversity. While the list of essential related services includes but is not limited to the American Indian Center, Center for International Studies, GLBT Services, the Jewish Cultural Center, Multicultural Student Services, Student Disability Services, the Women’s Center, the feeling expressed is that everyone can take advantage of the services of these units. A minority viewpoint wanted the language to be more inclusive—so that there is a sense of connectedness for all students not just for particular groups. Minor changes and edits were suggested to finalize this goal.
- Technology – Sue Motin will forward this document to Jackie for distribution to the committee and discussion at the next meeting.
At the next meeting, the committee will review priority strategic goals statements one last time before they are posted on the website for campus community feedback.
Discussion of KPIs:
- KPIs should be observable and measurable.
- KPIs should be qualitative as well as quantitative.
- What will help us to see if we are on track? What will help us to assess?
- What are the areas we should be measuring?
For the next meeting, subgroups will have identified KPIs for their goals. What are the key things that we should be looking at? (not necessarily the measures at this point)
The committee broke into subgroups to work on KPIs.
Next meeting: Friday, April 4 – 2-4 pm - Mississippi Room, Atwood