Strategic Planning Committee Subcommittee on Diversity and Social Justice
Focus Group Feedback
- Focus is on diversity and not social justice. There’s no social justice in the goal. Social justice involves issues of power and privilege, concrete awareness and lived experience.
- Decide how can our attention to social justice add value to the university.
- How does diversity add value to the University? How and why is it important?
- How are students treated? Relates to retention.
- Provide equity and access.
- Difference between domestic Asian American vs Asian International students needs to be clarified.
- Maybe we need to recognize other groups as well (e.g. disabled, Somoli students, etc.)
- KPI’s should look at if students move successfully into the classroom – portfolios, follow-up study, etc.
- Placement of graduates – did they get the jobs or positions they wanted.
- Systemic inequities.
- Is there a disconnect between what we are taught (or teach) and what we live?
- What about regular surveys and focus groups
on a schedule that will tell us how we’re doing.