Strategic Planning Committee Subcommittee on Diversity and Social Justice
Focus Group Feedback
- Focus is on diversity and not social justice. There’s
no social justice in the goal. Social justice involves issues of power
and privilege, concrete awareness and lived experience.
- Decide how can
our attention to social justice add value to the university.
- How does
diversity add value to the University? How and why is it important?
- How are students treated? Relates to retention.
- Provide equity and access.
- Difference between domestic Asian American
vs Asian International students needs to be clarified.
- Maybe we need
to recognize other groups as well (e.g. disabled, Somoli students,
- KPI’s should look at if students move successfully into
the classroom – portfolios,
follow-up study, etc.
- Placement of graduates – did they get the
jobs or positions they wanted.
- Systemic inequities.
- Is there a disconnect between what we are taught
(or teach) and what we live?
- What about regular surveys and focus groups
on a schedule that will tell us how we’re doing.