St. Cloud State University
Strategic Planning Committee Minutes
April 27, 2000, 7:45 a.m. Mississippi
Members Present: Deb Binsfeld, Marlene DeVoe, Mir Md. Tariqul Haider, Bonnie Hedin, Jayantha Herath, Rich Josephson, Pat Krueger, Arthur Mehrhoff, Sid Parham, Doug Polley, Lucie Schwartzkopf, Mary Soroko, and Fred Walker
Members Absent: Jeanne Hites, Brandon Johnson, Ravindra Kalia, Bill Langen, Chris Monson, Dennis Nunes, Jim Pehler, Marsha Shoemaker, and Karen Wenz
- Sid shared that Jeanne Hites would be willing to accept the position of chair next year. Discussion of chair nominations was held. Bonnie Hedin moved to close the nominations for Strategic Planning chair for the academic year 2000-2001. Doug Polley seconded the motion.
- Arthur Mehrhoff moved to nominate Jeanne Hites for the position of chair next year. Bonnie Hedin seconded the motion. The motion passed unanimously.
- The year-end Strategic Planning report for this year will be distributed by Sid via e-mail upon completion.
- Discussion of tasks to work on next year took place. Some ideas suggested
- Ask the president to support the committee visibly, such as attending a meeting monthly.
- Facilitate ways that the role of the Strategic Planning Committee to identify that all themes are addressed in each college plan can be accomplished.
- Determine a broad measurement/comparison to assess if the allocation of resources is being spent in a manner that is consistent with goals.
- Determine a format/venue for goals to be revised as it is determined by a college that a goal is no longer appropriate, viable, etc.
- Determine a venue to hold colleges accountable to their established time-lines.
- Determine ways to fulfil the goal of the strategic planning process to be visible to the colleges - i.e. Be put on their agendas, encourage departments to have committees to evaluate/monitor their plans. Foster concept that the plan is not "done" when the plan is written.
- Anticipate the changing needs of the strategic planning process (i.e. what the committee does now is different than what it did the first year, and different than what it will need to do in the future) and plan a time line/process that allows for this.
- Possibly pursue a consultant to facilitate the ideas generated in this meeting.
- Explore ways to keep the strategic planning process visible and fluid rather than static.
- Possibly establish new sub-committee groups in response to the changing needs of the strategic planning process.
- The suggestion was made to have Jeanne Hites also attend the Society for College and University Planning (SCUP) conference that Sid Parham and Gene Gilchrist are scheduled to attend and present at this summer.
- Mary Soroko and Pat Krueger expressed willingness to participate in a sub-committee group this summer to initiate some of the ideas generated at this meeting. Sid agreed to discuss it with Jeanne Hites. If the idea is approved, committee members will be given the opportunity to participate.