ST. CLOUD STATE UNIVERSITY
STRATEGIC PLANNING COMMITTEE
MINUTES FOR MEETING HELD
April 9, 1998
MEMBERS PRESENT: Dick Andzenge, Deb Binsfeld, Jeanne Hites, Bruce Miles, Richard Johnson, Vicki Kirkhorn, Bill Langen, Jessica Ostman, Sidney Parham, Jim Pehler, Doug Polley
MEMBERS ABSENT: Shahzad Ahmad, Mary Cleary, Marlene DeVoe, Patrick Mattson, Jill Minden, Rich Josephson, Katherine (Kat) Pesola, Gretchen Schendzielos, Rubin Stenseng
STAFF: Leslie Valdes, Steve Ludwig, Sandy Isberner, Joe Libby (Grad Assistant under Bruce Miles)
The meeting was called to order by Bruce Miles, Chair.
Process Evaluations from the April 3 meeting were reviewed.
Bruce discussed the results of the Ad Hoc meeting held on April 7, 1998. The next Ad Hoc meeting is scheduled for April 15, 3:00 p.m., SH 227. "Draft Committee Goals" is the topic.
The committee meeting scheduled for Thursday, April 23 has been changed to Friday, April 24, from 7:45-9:00 a.m. Several members of the committee will be attending a Faculty Association Meet and Confer meeting the afternoon of April 23. The April 24 meeting will be held in the Herbert Room, Atwood Center.
Small groups met to discuss handout #1, Questions Concerning Macro Views of Strategic Planning. The groups came up with the following questions:
- Do you have questions about the Generic Phases? Do you need extra
- Would like more information on tasks and strategy.
- Would like definition of reprogramming explained in more detail.
- Need more defining of change team training.
- Do you have questions about the Planning Phases? Do you need extra
Would like better definition of preliminary negotiations.
- What else belongs in preliminary negotiations? (There is a handout in Dick Johnson's packet addressing preliminary negotiations.)
- Need assistance with needs assessment. What methods or strategies should be used to identify needs?
- Should needs assessments from subgroups be presented to large committee first?
- Do you have questions about the Implementation of the Change Plan?
Do you need extra information?
What is the role of the large committee in the implementation phase?
- Will each department have a strategic plan? How are they going to do this?
- Is implementation a two-phase procedure?
- Will there be reassessment or review from the large committee before moving into the final stage of implementation?
The subcommittees met for a focusing exercise. Each subcommittee reported on their progress to date.
The next meeting is scheduled for Friday, April 17, 1998 from 7:45-9:00 a.m. in the Mississippi Room, Atwood Center. Refreshments will be provided.