ST. CLOUD STATE UNIVERSITY
STRATEGIC PLANNING COMMITTEE MINUTES
Jan 7, 10, 14, 28, 1997
MEMBERS PRESENT:* Shahzad Ahmad, Dick Andzenge, Jo Ann Asquith, Mike Baker, Brad Chisholm, Bruce Ellis, Yvonne Getchell, Mike Hayman, Jeanne Hites, Richard Johnson, Rich Josephson, Bill LangenKathleen Maloney, Denise McGuire, Lu Meemken, Kate Mooney, Jim Pehler, Sue Pope, Lora Robinson, Greg Scherber, Gretchen Starks-Martin, Rubin Stenseng, Annette Wilson
STAFF:* Sandy Isberner, Karen Schmid, Steve Ludwig
GUESTS: President Bruce Grube and Vice President Gene
The January 7th, 10th and 28th meetings were called to order by L. Robinson. The January 24th meeting was called to order by President Grube.
The minutes dated December 13th and 17th were accepted as distributed at the January 7th meeting.
- Dates and Times for Strategic Planning Committee Meetings The Committee
agreed to meet as scheduled on January 28th from 7:45-9:00 a.m. even
if North Central representative could not meet with the Committee at
- Discussion of Draft Interim Report on 1/7/97 The committee broke into
cross-sectional groups and examined the draft for possible changes following
- Does the change make it more accurate?
- Does the change make it more clear?
- Does the change bring more FOCUS to our efforts?
- Have we maximized strength/opportunities and minimized weaknesses/threats as we have identified them today?
- Is the change doable?
- Have we provided a direction, yet left how to get there to implementation?
After the group discussions, each group reported its recommended changes. Starks-Martin kept notes on what changes should be made to the draft report the next day. Several sections were recommended to be rewritten and assignments were made.
- Discussion of Final Interim Report on 1/10/97 Each committee member
was given a copy of the report to read and identify any final changes
to be made before submitting the report to the President and the community.
Each member read, edited the report, and returned his copy to the chair
for incorporation into the final revision.
- Discussion of the Initial Planning Report from the SCSU Strategic
Planning Committee on 1/24/97 with President Grube. President Grube
thanked Committee members for their hard work and time they had given
to strategic planning. He distributed a draft of his response to the
committee which he walked the Committee through and then opened the
floor for suggestions. There was discussion regarding technology, diversity,
and having open forums after North Central's visit to discuss
President Grube's response.
President Grube discussed the implementation process including institutionalizing the planning process.
- Discussion of President Grube's First Draft of his Response
to the Strategic Planning Committee's Initial Report on 1/28/97
There was strong support expressed for the President's memo from
many committee members. The only concerns raised were: Does it adequately
address the professional concerns of support staff? Goals are not themes.
And we should not over-rely on technology to solve our problems.
- Proposed Open Meetings On January 28th, the Strategic Planning Committee
discussed holding open meetings on strategic planning again. Four meetings
were proposed: one evening meeting, one student meeting, one morning
and one afternoon meeting. Tentative dates and times were 2/20/97 at
10:30 p.m. and 2/20/97 at 5:00 p.m. The rest of the schedule had not
been finalized. The meetings would be attended by Strategic Planning
Committee members and the President (or his designee). The meetings
would briefly review the planning process to date, present the President's
response to the initial Strategic Planning Committee's report
and provide an opportunity for discussion on where the planning process
goes from here.
- North Central Accreditation The NCA team has requested any member
of the Strategic Planning Committee to meet with Burton Witthuhn at
1l:00 a.m. today (1/28/97) in AS 201 to discuss planning at SCSU.
- Next meeting The Strategic Planning Committee will have its final meeting with President Grube on 1/31/97 at 7:45 a.m., Atwood/North Voyageur.