Jobs & Internships
AfterCollege™ is the largest career network specializing in recruitment at the college level. AfterCollege provides information for Nursing students in the department to research entry-level job and internship opportunities with employers nationwide. SCSU students can access our own specialized page by following the link above.
Nursing 444, the summer internship course, is offered as an elective each year. In order to take the internship course a student must be accepted for an internship opportunity at a healthcare agency. Healthcare agencies in the Twin Cities have worked together to standardize dates for the application process. The following information will be helpful to students considering applying for an internship next summer.
Internship experiences will be 10-11 weeks long, 32 hours per week. Interns are expected to work the same shifts as their preceptors/mentors, including off shifts and weekends. Average salary for nurse interns is $12.00.
- November 1, 2014- Applications Available
- December 5, 2014 - Internship Applications Due
- December 12, 2014 - Mayo Internship Applications Due
- February 9, 2015 - Internship Offers Made
- February 21, 2015 - Acceptance Confirmed
- June 1, 2015 - Orientation/Internships Begin
Data Collection Grid (doc: 1 pg)
Includes data collection and evaluation strategy, description of data collection purpose, description of timelines and responsible person(s) for all forms.
Nurse Internships Letter of Recommendation Form (doc: 2 pg)
Instructions for students:
- Print, complete, and sign the Permission Form;
- For multiple sites, complete a Permission Form for each site;
- Submit to the instructor with a stamped, addressed envelope for each site; OR
- instructor will return signed form(s) in a sealed envelope for student to submit
Forms Due Before Internship Experience
- Student Skills Self Assessment - complete "Pre" portion in June, finish "Post" portion in August
- Baccalaureate Student Self Assessment of Professional Standards
- Pre-Internship Student Self Evaluation
- Goal Sheet - Midsummer internship re-evaluation and final review
Forms Due After Internship Experience
- Post Internship Student Self Evaluation
- Post Internship Student Evaluation of Experience
- Evaluation of Preceptor/Mentor
- Final Nursing Student Intern Evaluation
- Preceptor/Mentor Evaluation of Internship Course Experience
A list of potential nurse internship opportunities, including contact information and links to organizations' websites, is available for students to use in their serach for internships. In some cases students may need to search these websites or contact Human Resources offices. This list is not all-inclusive, but represents recent opportunities/sites.