Well-known alumni give back
Sunday, February 1, 2009
Some of the many well-known journalists trained by the university’s Department of Mass Communications returned to campus on March 3 to talk about their careers, challenges they’ve faced, industry trends, how new media has affected their jobs and how students can prepare for the change. The alumni also spent time with students for one-on-one conversations and gave students a chance to have their work critiqued.
Panelists scheduled to appear and representing newspapers, radio stations and TV stations from the St. Cloud area and the Twin Cities, six of whom were St. Cloud State graduates, were:
- Jeff Olsen ’93, Backpack reporter for KARE-TV
- Ann Carroll ’95, reporter for Fox Sports Net
- Joe Gill ’99, morning show host for KASM-AM
- John Lauritsen ’01, reporter for WCCO-TV
- Cassie Hart ’04, news director for KNSI-AM
- Adam Hammer ’05, entertainment reporter for the St. Cloud Times
- Ed Smith, station manager, KSAX-TV (non-alumnus)
- Nicole Garrison-Springer, Pioneer Press money reporter and
Minnesota Society of Professional Journalists Pro chapter president (non-alumnus)
The St. Cloud State chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists was responsible for bringing the alumni back to share their experiences in the professional world.