Enrollment up across the board
Thursday, November 1, 2007
Fall 2007 enrollment, compared to a year earlier, is up in all categories, including students of color, international students, graduate students, new freshmen, new transfer students and overall enrollment.
The increases bring St. Cloud State University enrollment to 16,882, the largest total in at least nine years. Increases by category compared to last year include:
• New entering freshmen up 5 percent;
• New transfer students up 7 percent;
• New domestic students of color up 27 percent, bringing total student of color enrollment to 6.8 percent of the student body;
• New international students up 17 percent;
• Total graduate students up nearly 12 percent, which includes 17 and 16 percent increases, respectively, in the College of Social Sciences and the G.R. Herberger College of Business.
Since fall 2000, the number of students of color at St. Cloud State has increased by approximately 100 percent. “After that many years of steady growth, to see a jump again this fall is very gratifying,” said President Earl H. Potter III. He credits ongoing efforts to provide a welcoming atmosphere, to recruit students from some of the state’s fastest-growing ethnic groups, and to continue to offer programs that inspire and help students have a successful college experience.