Register for the Summer Music Institute
Thursday, June 7, 2012
Music educators can learn the latest techniques and explore the newest materials at the July 23-27 Summer Music Education Institute.
Eight nationally recognized music educators will offer workshops on topics important to the daily lives of music educators, including jazz pedagogy, band/strings/choral methods, re-licensure requirements and music technology.
Customize your educational experience by selecting workshops that match your needs. Choose a one-credit or a two-credit track and receive undergraduate or graduate-level credit. Alternatively, apply for Continuing Education Units.
All workshops are in the Performing Arts Center. For more information, contact Terry Vermillion at firstname.lastname@example.org or 320-308-4703.
Meet the presenters:
- Bruce Pearson is a music educator, author, composer and clinician. He is the author of the "Standard of Excellence Comprehensive Band Method." The 1964 St. Cloud State graduate is a 2007 Distinguished Alumni Award recipient.
- Jeff King is a Texas high school music educator, clincian and co-author of the warm-up and technique book "Foundations for Superior Performance."
- Dean Sorenson is an associate professor and director of jazz studies at the University of Minnesota. He is a sought-after composer, arranger, trombonist, educator and clinician.
- Bruce Phelps is a retired choral music educator, worship music conductor and author of a range of music education materials, including the "Music Mastery Manual for Performance Groups."
- Wendy Barden coordinates the nationally recognized music program at Osseo Area Schools. Among other publications, she co-authored the teacher's edition of "Music Theory & History Workbook."
- Terry Shade is a presenter, clinician and middle school orchestra instructor based in Issaquah, Wash. She has conducted all-state and honor orchestras throughout the nation.
- Jeremy Woolstenhulme is a middle school orchestra instructor in Las Vegas. He is a cellist for the Las Vegas Philharmonic and the Seasons String Quartet. He is author of the "Steps to Successful Ensembles" series.
- Leigh Kallestad is an executive at Eden Prairie-based MakeMusic, publishers of Smart Music, Finale and other tools for music educators. A veteran SmartMusic clinician, Kallestad helps universities implement MakeMusic solutions.
- Mavis Kallestad is a Minneapolis-based Finale software clinician and presenter. She is the author of "Building Successful Finale Chops."
Helping sponsor the Summer Music Education Institute is the Neil A. Kjos Music Company. The San Diego, California firm publishes music education materials, notably the "Standard of Excellence Comprehensive Band Method."
Parking is free on streets adjacent to campus and a dollar per hour in the 4th Avenue Parking Ramp.
<< Previous | Archive | Next >>