Preparing for the job market 24/7
Saturday, June 27, 2009
Today’s students – millennials – are used to tapping resources whenever and wherever they are, according to Career Services (CSC) staff. At the same time, the economic downturn means more and more students need the center’s help. To stretch its resources and give students job hunting assistance 24/7, the center is expanding its Web offerings.
- Resume Writing 101 – A 12-minute presentation to help students write effective resumes is online, where they can also find a resume-writing checklist and resume samples.
- Blogging – Another initiative, developed in response to employers’ concerns about new hires having unrealistic job expectations, finds student interns blogging day to day about their experiences at work. Communication studies senior Natasha Ashfeld of Cold Spring talks about her work day at a health care organization, for example, and Jessica Merten of St. Cloud, Wis., a master’s student in the industrial/organizational psychology program, blogs about her experiences at an early childhood center.
- Job Tip DVDs – Employers have given their time to share job search tips on camera, allowing CSC to create videos students can quickly access online and faculty members can use in their classes.
Longtime, ever-growing features of the Career Services Center Web presence include:
- SCSUCareers.com – Employers can quickly post jobs, screen candidates and schedule on-campus interviews. Students – and alumni – can post resumes, search for openings, sign up for automatic e-mail notification of job openings and schedule on-campus interviews.
- EdPost, JobPost, InternPost – Allow for easy postings and searches for teaching and administrative positions for K-12 schools, internships and positions in business, industry, government, human services and the arts. Find at www.stcloudstate.edu/joblistings.
<< Previous | Contents | Next >>