Juneteenth is June 15
Tuesday, May 22, 2012
St. Cloud’s 16th annual Juneteenth picnic, festival and community gathering will be celebrated from 6-9 p.m. Friday, June 15, in Riverside Park, St. Cloud.
Beef hot dogs, hamburgers, chicken and veggie patties, hot dish, salads and dressings, desserts, chips and dips, water and soft drinks will be available for participants.
Activities will include:
- Old-fashioned cook-out and grilling
- Games and recreational activities for kids
- Black History and Juneteenth information
- African-American and African crafts and arts
- Voter registration and health information
- Opportunity to meet public officials
- Prizes and gifts, including authentic African cultural objects
Juneteenth marks the anniversary black slaves were freed in Texas. These slaves found out that they were free June 13-19, 1865.
Groups, organizations, and agencies are welcome to set up tables and booths to share information about their activities and services.
For more information call 320-308-2553.
The St. Cloud Juneteenth celebration is sponsored by the African American Male Forum of St. Cloud in conjunction with the Pre-College Programs, St. Cloud State University; Multicultural Student Services, St. Cloud State University; Uniting Society, St. Cloud State University, SASSO, N.A.P.S. and St. Cloud branch of the N.A.A.C.P.
St. Cloud State University