UE & SSS provost finalists
Tuesday, April 19, 2011
The finalists for Associate Provost for Undergraduate Education and Student Support Services will be interviewed on campus and will participate in open sessions with students, faculty, staff and community members.
Finalists for the position, which will be filled July 1, are:
- Ronald Bieniek is the acting associate dean of arts and sciences at the University of Missouri-St. Louis. He holds a doctorate in physics from Harvard University. His thesis adviser was Alex Dalgarno, the award-winning "father of molecular astrophysics." View Bieniek's curriculum vitae (PDF). His open public session is 3 p.m. May 2 in the Atwood Glacier Room.
- Mary Hassinger is vice president for academic affairs at Stephens College, Columbia, Mo. Her career includes faculty and administrative positions at Viterbo University, LaCrosse, Wisc. Her doctorate in chemistry is from Purdue University. View Hassinger's curriculum vitae (PDF). Her open public session is 3 p.m. April 28 in the Atwood Alumni Room.
- Tracy Ore is the interim associate provost for undergraduate education at St. Cloud State. She holds a doctorate in sociology from the University of Michigan. Ore is the president of Sociologist for Women in Society, a non-profit scientific and educational organization dedicated to improving women's lives and creating feminist social change. View her curriculum vitae (PDF). Her public open session is 2:30 p.m. April 19 in the Miller Center Auditorium (MC 122).
- Miguel Martinez-Saenz is the associate provost at Wittenberg University, Springfield. Ohio. He holds a doctorate in philosophy from the University of South Florida. The native Spanish-speaker created a new first-year experience at Wittenberg that integrates the transition to college life, vocational exploration and early faculty-student collaboration. View his curriculum vitae (PDF). His public open session is 3 p.m. April 21 in the Atwood Glacier Room.
- Henry Smorynski is vice president for academic affairs and dean of the university at Midland University, Fremont, Neb. He holds a doctorate from Georgetown University, Washington D.C. His career includes a six-year stint as provost for academic affairs at College of Saint benedict/Saint John's University, Collegeville, Minn. View his curriculum vitae (PDF). His public open session is 2:30 p.m. April 26 in the Atwood Glacier Room.
This associate provost position supports the undergraduate experience and provides direction to student services such as the Advising Center, Department of Academic Support and Academic Learning Center, University Honors Program, First Year and Transition Programs Office, Academic Appeals and Probation, Math Skills Center and the Division of General Studies.
The position coordinates undergraduate education academic policies and procedures and assists the Provost in envisioning new strategies, educational designs and models. In addition, the person assists in the day-to-day management of the Office of the Provost.
St. Cloud State University