Tuesday, April 13, 2010
Reel Big Fish, a ska punk band from Huntington Beach, Calif., headlines the 2010 Mississippi Music Fest.
St. Cloud State's spring outdoor concert event returns with headliners Reel Big Fish, a ska punk band from Huntington Beach, Calif.
Managed by student-run University Program Board, the 25th Mississippi Music Fest is April 25 south of Husky Stadium.
The the 1-9 p.m. music festival includes free music, food and craft vendors, carnival rides, a children's area and more.
Reel Big Fish, a veteran band led by lead guitarist/vocalist Aaron Barrett, is best known for its 1997 minor hit "Sell Out."
The band, which has guitars, horns, keyboards and drums, plays several types of music, including the ska style that originated in Jamaica in the late 1950s.
Ska, which includes elements of jazz, rhythm and blues and Caribbean music, is considered by musicologists to be a forerunner of reggae.
- View a 2:38 video interview with Barrett and trombonist Dan Regan
- View a live performance of "Beer," one of the band's concert favorites
- Take Cover, a Minneapolis pop-rock band. Listen to the quintet's latest songs.
- Cadence, a five-piece band from Eau Claire, Wisc. Listen to their latest music.
- The Dixie Hicks Band, a Twin Cities country cover band.
- Battle of the Unsigned Bands finalists Tyler Hogan and Jared Monetti.
St. Cloud State University