Power in Diversity 2014
Monday, January 13, 2014
Poster for the 2014 Power in Diversity Leadership Conference, Jan. 23-26 in Atwood Memorial Center.
"Orange is the New Black" actor Laverne Cox is one of six keynote presenters at the Power in Diversity Leadership Conference Jan. 23-26 at St. Cloud State.
On the critically acclaimed NetFlix show Cox plays Sophia Burset, a transgender woman imprisoned for credit-card fraud. Cox, who was male at birth, is an award-winning transgender advocate.
Also sharing keynote remarks will be author and leadership expert Josh Fredenburg; journalist and activist Jeff Johnson; human rights activist Nontombi Naomi Tutu; retired army Lt. Col. Consuelo Castillo Kickbusch; and educator and entertainer Tou Ger Bennett Xiong.
The conference is expected to gather more than 500 students, faculty, staff and advisors from Minnesota State Colleges and Universities system and other regional institutions.
Held in Atwood Memorial Center, Power in Diversity builds leadership and communication skills, promotes academic excellence and reinforces education and cultural development -- all in the spirit of change.
Keynote speakers and workshop presenters will discuss ideas that fit the conference theme, “Today’s Vision: Tomorrow’s Reality.”
Workshop presenters will target these themes:
- Charting Your Future: Internships, mentorships, career planning, professional development, choosing a graduate school
- Financial Literacy: Financing your education, budgeting, personal finances
- Leadership Development: Learning to motivate others, helping others to be successful, how to be a solution manager
- Navigating College: Stress and time management, health and wellness/self-care, utilizing resources, healthy relationships
- Activism and Community Engagement: Addressing topics across the spectrum of diversity including multicultural issues, community building, political issues
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 320-308-7432.
Power in Diversity is managed by the Office of Multiculural Student Services, in cooperation with the Minnesota Colleges and Universities system, St. Cloud Technical & Community College, College of Saint Benedict/Saint John's University, Inver Hills Community College, Minnesota State University Moorhead and Southwest Minnesota State University.
View a video about the 2012 conference:
St. Cloud State University