Wrestling in nat'l meet
Monday, February 25, 2013
Andy Pokorny, who is majoring in psychology, is an All-American.
The nation's top-ranked NCAA Division II wrestling team lived up to its billing Feb. 24 advancing nine student athletes, including four champions, to the national meet March 8-9 in Birmingham, Ala.
Husky Wrestling earned 140.5 points at the NCAA Super Region 3 meet in Waterloo, Iowa, outscoring Upper Iowa University, Minnesota State University, Mankato, and 10 other schools.
Senior Shamus O'Grady, Coon Rapids, was named Most Valuable Wrestler for his first-place finish at 184 pounds.
Husky Wrestling's three other regional champions are:
- Senior Andy Pokorny, Bennington, Neb., at 133 pounds
- Redshirt first-year Clint Poster, Pierz, at 157 pounds
- Senior Jacob Kahnke, Shakopee, at 285 pounds
Advancing to the national championship meet with second-place finishes are:
Advancing to nationals with third-place finishes are:
- First-year Matt Nelson, Big Lake, at 141 pounds
- First-year Gabe Fogarty, Jordan, at 165 pounds
- Senior Kurt Salmen, Dassel, at 174 pounds
St. Cloud State competes in the 2013 NCAA Division II championships March 8-9 at the Spring Sports Festival in Birmingham, Ala. Meet the entire team.
The Huskies were national runners-up in 2012 and 2011. Coach Steve Costanzo's team has been ranked first in the NCAA Division II Coaches' Poll since Jan. 16.
St. Cloud State University