Summer Music Education Institute
Wednesday, July 23, 2014
Music instructors will gather to learn the latest technology, skills and teaching techniques July 28-August 1 at the third annual Summer Music Education Institute.
Nationally-recognized educators will offer professional development workshops throughout the week including music technology, band and choral methods, standards-based assessment, measuring student growth and re-licensure requirements for area educators. The Institute is for professional advancement of teachers and credit seeking students at both undergraduate and graduate levels.
The week-long event runs 9 a.m.-8 p.m. each day.
Meet the presenters:
- Jack Stamp is a professor of music, chairman of the music department and director of band studies at Indiana University of Pennsylvania where he conducts the Wind Ensemble and teaches courses in graduate conducting.
- Terry Vermillion is an associate professor of percussion at St. Cloud State. He has directed the percussion studies program at St. Cloud State since 1990 where he conducts the Percussion Ensemble, Drumset Ensemble, Mallet Ensemble, World Drumming Group and the Improvisation Ensemble.
- Catharine Bushman conducts the Wind Ensemble and teaches music education at St. Cloud State. Previously, she served on the faculty of Winthrop University where she led the Symphonic Band and taught graduate and undergraduate courses in music education.
- Matthew Ferrell is a professor of choral activities and conducting at St. Cloud State. He also conducts the SCSU Concert Choir and Chamber Singers.
- Steve Hoemberg, Jr. earned his bachelor’s degree in music with concentrations in K-12 choral education and vocal performance from St. John’s University in 2001, where he studied choral conducting and vocal pedagogy with Axel Theimer.
- Chris Russellis the director of choirs and a technology specialist at Oltman Middle School in St. Paul Park, MN. All students at the middle school are issued iPads as a tool for learning. He previously taught 17 years at Park High School and East Ridge High School.
- Bruce Pearson is a world-renowned music educator, author, composer and clinician. He is the author of the “Standard of Excellence Comprehensive Band Method” which has been regarded as the most important contribution to the band music field in the last three decades.
- Wendy Barden is a music educator in Osseo Area Schools since 1977. Her extensive work in the classroom has provided the basis for several groundbreaking publications for band, strings and general music, all published by the Neil A. Kjos Music Company.
The Summer Music Education Institute is sponsored by the St. Cloud State College of Liberal Arts and School of the Arts.
Parking is free on streets adjacent to campus. The 4th Avenue Parking Ramp is available for an hourly fee or a daily rate of $12. (View the map)
St. Cloud State is a tobacco-free campus. For more information on the university’s tobacco-free policy, visit www.stcloudstate.edu/tobaccofree.
St. Cloud State University