DECA team collects awards
Thursday, March 5, 2015
St. Cloud State’s Dallas Hahn, St. Michael, earned first place in corporate finance at the Minnesota Collegiate DECA career development competition Feb. 26-27 in Minneapolis.
St. Cloud State students returned home with numerous top eight awards including Abby McDonald, Ramsey, and Wyatt Lemon, Lino Lakes, who took second place in the business to business category and Kelsey Jones, Sartell, who placed second in human resource management.
The university’s Collegiate DECA team also was awarded the Diamond Chapter award for its community service and involvement within the school, while Alexa Dieterichs (Ramsey) was named Minnesota DECA’s At-Large State Officer for 2015.
“We were one of four to earn the honor, said Craig Wilson, assistant professor of accounting and Collegiate DECA advisor. “The others have been long established programs with much larger memberships. This is only our second year and we started this fall with five members, and now have 22.”
Collegiate DECA’s Competitive Events Program allows students to put their experience, skills and knowledge to the test while representing their college or university.
Most events are role play cases involving one or two students who have 30 minutes (one person) or one hour (two people) to prepare a response and present to an acting judge. Judges are business and industry professionals.
Collegiate DECA has more than 5,400 chapters across the nation with about 215,000 members.
Other student awards include:
Student Leadership Awards
• Kelsey Jones
• Alexa Dieterichs
• Andrew Clausen (Morris)
• Dallas Hahn – 1st place
• Tony Margiotta (Brooklyn Park) – 3rd place
- Trevor Buchholz (Princeton)
- Andrew Clauson
Business to Business Marketing
• Abby McDonald and Wyatt Lemon – 2nd place
- Mike Wigstrom (Mahtomedi) and Haley Friend (Elk River)
Human Resources Management
• Kelsey Jones – 2nd place
• Mo Osable (St. Cloud), Dallas Hahn, Andrew Clauson and Tony Margiotta – 2nd place
• Abby McDonald – 3rd place
Emerging Technologies Marketing Strategies
• Manny Beaver – 3rd place
- Mo Osable
- Trevor Buchholz
- Jessica Sadlowsky (Elk River) - Finalist
- Dallas Hahn - Finalist
Other Top Eight Finishers
- Mike Voorhees (Plymouth) - Retail management
- Shelby Ridinger (Cloquet) - Fashion merchandising and management
- Mo Osable - Fashion merchandising and management
- Tony Margiotta and Andrew Clauson - Sports and entertainment marketing
- Kelsey Jones - Marketing management
- Wyatt Lemon - Sales management meeting
St. Cloud State University