Monday, April 19, 2010
The extensive renovation of the only campus building on the National Register of Historic Places, Riverview, will be celebrated at an open house reception and ice cream social from 3:30 to 5 p.m. April 30.
The $6.2 million renovation retained the historic features of the original building while adding high-tech innovations. Two “historic classrooms” furnished in 1913 style stand next to smart classrooms and modern communication labs.
Riverview was opened in 1913 as a laboratory school for the St. Cloud Normal School. From 1958-2008 Riverview was home to the St. Cloud State Department of English. This past fall the Department of Communication Studies moved into the newly renovated building.
When Riverview was a lab school it was a place for Normal School students to observe and practice their teaching skills. For South Side children it was the neighborhood elementary school from 1913 through 1958, when the Gray Laboratory School building – now the Engineering and Computer Center – was built.
Area students in grades kindergarten through ninth grade attended Riverview Lab School. At times more than half the students were children of faculty and staff at St. Cloud State. Several alumni of the lab school from the late 1920s through the 1950s will be special guests at the open house to share their memories and photographs.The event also will feature a ribbon cutting led by President Earl H. Potter III, music by the Husky Sports Band, video presentations about the building’s history and the renovation process.
For more information, contact Roseanna Ross, chair, Department of Communication Studies, 320-308-2217, email@example.com.