KVSC wins $65,000 public broadcasting grant
Tuesday, August 12, 2008
ST. CLOUD, Minn. – The number of listeners and the quality of its programming and staffing have won St. Cloud State University’s student radio station, KVSC 88.1 FM, funding from the Corporation for Public Broadcasting’s Community Service Grant Program. The station was one of 10 radio stations, nationwide, to receive a community service grant.
Of the $65,000 that KVSC will receive, the grant specifies that 25% of the funding be used on national programming. The other 75% is at the grantee’s discretion, but station manager Jo McMullen-Boyer said that a Web site redesign, developing a marketing plan for the station and technical upgrades are pending projects.
To qualify for the Community Service Grant Program, stations must offer programming that serves the educational, informational and cultural needs of the community, must have significant, locally originated programming, and must be professionally equipped for excellent quality production.
Said McMullen-Boyer: “Qualifying for this grant is a reward in itself—it recognizes the support from our listeners and the community. The grant also supports our commitment to quality programming that is local, live and reaches a diverse range of listeners. This grant will help us further develop and grow our station to serve Central Minnesota.”
KVSC 88.1FM, the Voice of St. Cloud since 1967, offers listeners an alternative format without commercials, a diverse array of music, and coverage of news and community events. The station is staffed by student directors, volunteer student and community members and two full-time professionals. To learn more, visit www.kvsc.org.
The Corporation for Public Broadcasting (CPB) is a private, nonprofit corporation created by Congress in 1967. CPB helps support the operations of more than 1,000 locally owned and operated public television and radio stations nationwide, and is the largest single source of funding for research, technology and program development for public radio, television and related on-line services. To learn more, visit www.cpb.org.
# # # # #
Media contact: Jo McMullen, station manager, 320-308-3053.