CHOIR @ St. Cloud State University
Monday, August 18, 2014
Greeting from the St. Cloud State Choral Program!
The SCSU choral program continues to be one of St. Cloud State’s most treasured and prestigious activities. Whether you are an aspiring music professional or simply someone who loves to sing, SCSU has a choir for you! You'll find answers to many questions below, but feel free to write with any additional questions you may have.
HOW DO I REGISTER/JOIN AN SCSU CHOIR?
Register for any choir(s) you would like!
- Concert Choir, MUSP 162 • MW 12:00-12:50 pm & TTh 12:30-1:45 pm • Dr. Matthew Ferrell, conductor
- Women’s Choir, MUSP 161 • MWF 1:00-1:50 pm • Mary Jo Bot, conductor
- Men’s Choir, MUSP 163 • TTh 2:00-3:15 pm • Al Hawkins, conductor
After registering there are 2 more steps:
1. Fill out the choir registration form HERE
2. Sign up for an audition/voice placement HERE
The hearings take place Sunday, Monday & Tuesday in the first week of classes (August 24-26)
WHAT IS A CHOIR PLACEMENT HEARING?
- Most importantly, it is a chance for the choir faculty to meet you!
- For students interested in the SCSU Men’s Choir and Women’s Choir, it includes tonal memory and a short check of your vocal range to determine what part to sing in the choir (i.e. soprano, alto, tenor or bass).
- For students interested in Concert Choir and Camber Singers this will constitute your audition. Expect a check of your vocal range, a prepared solo or “My Country ‘tis of Thee,” tonal memory exercises and a short sight reading excerpt.
CAN MY FRIENDS JOIN THE CHOIRS?
- Of Course! We always want new singers! Just have them register for choir and/or contact me.
DO MY FRIENDS OR I NEED PREVIOUS SINGING EXPERIENCE TO JOIN A CHOIR?
- Absolutely not! You simply need to have a love of singing and a great attitude. We have choirs for less experienced singers as well as choirs for students who are interested in becoming music professionals!
- At SCSU we have A Choir for Every Voice
WHAT CAN I EXPECT FROM THE CHOIRS?
- Wonderful musical experiences, national & international tours, recording sessions, singing with orchestras, working with guest conductors/composers, singing in cathedrals and concert halls, and much, much more!
- Caring people who will support and uplift you – people who will become your lifelong friends!
- A wide variety of music performed at the highest caliber.
- Friendly and supportive teachers who will care for your personal and musical growth.
Please feel free to contact me for any quesions you may have. I look forward to seeing you soon!
Dr. Matthew Ferrell
<< Previous | Archive | Next >>