Faculty >> Curriculum Vitae
Andrew Bekkala, PhD., P.E.
Professor of Manufacturing Engineering
E – Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Address: Engineering and Computing Center 101C
Office Telephone: (320) 308-5655 / Office Fax: (320) 308-5653
- PhD Engineering Mechanics, Mich Tech Univ 1990
- MS Mechanical Engineering/Manufacturing, Mich Tech Univ 1979
- BS Mechanical Engineering, Mich Tech Univ 1976
- Control systems, machine controls, automated machine design.
- Robotic systems design and control, robust control.
- Quality engineering, design of experiments, robust product design.
Number of years service, date of original appointment and advancement in rank:
8.0 years, August 1990, Tenured June 1995, Professor 1996.
Other related experience: teaching, industrial, etc.:
- Michigan Technological University, Instructor, M.E. 1982-90
- California State University, Chico, Assoc. Prof., M.E. 1978-82
- Travel Accessories, Orland CA, Director Engineering 1977-78
- Eaton Corporation, Southfield MI, Product Engineer 1975-77
Consulting, patents, etc.:
- Fabricated steel product design summer 1999.
- Plant layout, steel fabrication consulting summer 1998.
- Production team training, SaunaTech, Cokato summer 1997.
- Factory Ambient Air Conditions Study, Frigidaire, St. Cloud summer 1997.
- Tractor-Trailer Dynamic Structural Analysis, Jennie-O Foods, Willmar summer 1996.
- Automation training project, Frigidaire, St. Cloud Sept., 1995-1999.
- Flight Controller Design, Rockwell International (with James Rankin) summer 1995.
- Beam line CNC automation controls, Jansteel, Maple Plain summer 1994.
- Plant layout and material flow, SaunaTech, Cokato summer 1993.
- CNC tube punch controller design, DriSteem, Eden Prairie summer 1992.
- Interchangeable die system design, Webway, St. Cloud summer 1991.
- Multiloop temperature controller design, Webway, St. Cloud summer 1991.
- Lens generator controller, FB Optical, St. Stevens summer 1991.
- Patent #461372, Caliper Guide Assembly for Disc Brakes, July, 1984.
State(s) in which registered:
- California: Mechanical, Manufacturing (both by NCEE examinations).
- Minnesota: Mechanical, Manufacturing (both by reciprocity).
Principal publications of last five years:
- "Design for Environmentally Conscious Manufacturing" , Bekkala, Annual Meeting of the Academy of Industrial Engineers, Colima, Mexico, Nov. 24, 1999.
- "Electrostatic Separation of Various kinds of Plastics and Papers", T.Fujita, M.Imai, N.Haruki, B.Jeyadevan, T.Miyazaki and A.Bekkala , Proceedings of Fifth International Symposium on East Asian Recycling Technology, Tsukuba, Japan, June 15-17, 1999.
- "The Challenge of Designing Lifecycle Quality Products", Bekkala, 3 rd International Conference on Materials Engineering for Resources, Proceedings ICMR'98, KA-31, pp.136-146, 1998.
- Editor, ABET Self Study Questionnaire Volumes I & II, 1995.
- Senior Design Projects in Electrical and Manufacturing Engineering , Bekkala , et. al., Annual Conference Proceedings, American Society for Engineering Education, 1995, p378.
- The Capstone Design Experience in Manufacturing Engineering , Bekkala and Yu, , ASEE-NMS Conference, ST Cloud MN, 1995.
- Editor, ABET Self Study Questionnaire Volumes I & II, 1994.
- Industry Projects in Manufacturing Engineering , Bekkala , VII Simposium Internacional de Ingenieria Industrial, Juarez, Mexico, 1994.
Scientific and professional societies of which a member:
- American Society of Engineering Educators 1994-present
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers 1986-present
- Society of Manufacturing Engineers 1990-present
Honors and Grants:
- Invited speaker. First Annual Meeting of the Academy of Industrial Engineers, Colima, Mexico, Nov. 23, 1999.
- Invited speaker. Third International Conference on Materials Engineering for Resources, ICMR'98, Akita, Japan, Oct., 26, 1998.
- MJSP Grant for training of Frigidaire employees, $88 k, 1995.
- Invited speaker. VII Simposium Internacional de Ingenieria Industrial, Juarez, Mexico, 1994.
- SME Education Grant for equipment, travel, in-kind contributions, $30k, 1993
Other assigned duties performed during the academic year:
- Advisor for all students in the MME major.
- College Curriculum Review Committee.
- Frigidaire automation training program coordinator.
- Faculty and technician search committee chair.
- Faculty advisor for industry funded student projects.