Math Skills Center
Centennial Hall 224
Fall and spring:
- 9 a.m. - 4 p.m. Monday through Friday
The Math Skills Center offers Math 070 and Math 072, two three-credit courses for students who need further preparation for college-level mathematics.
The Math Skills Center also offers enrolled students a tutor lab with computers on-site providing an environment where students receive immediate help as they improve their skills.
- See the Math Placement website to determine proper course placement before registering for these courses.
The faculty and tutors at the Math Skills Center provide opportunities that foster mastering of basic mathematical skills, develop effective study habits and achieve the confidence level needed for success.
Students are expected to be active learners committed to achieving eventual success in their college level math courses as determined by their major.
Course credits apply toward financial aid requirements and grade point average but do not count toward graduation credits.
The MSC recommends students:
- Attend all class sessions in their entirety.
- Spend a minimum of 100 minutes per week in the MSC lab, Centennial Hall 224.
- Complete assignments on or before the due date.
- Use posted instructor office hours.
- Form study groups (3 to 4 people) to review homework and study for exams.
- Review class lessons daily in order to reinforce concepts and formulate positive study habits.
- Begin exam preparations well in advance of the test date.
MSC tutoring session tips
- Bring your class notes.
- Have a list of questions prepared.
- Be an active participant.
- Ask questions/clarifications. This may include having concepts repeated or explained in a different way.
- Have realistic expectations. Tutors are there to help. It is not their job to give students answers or do work for you. Tutors will ask how you approached the problem and where you have difficulty in the process.