Mathematics Placement Testing
The MATHEMATICS PLACEMENT TEST
Mathematics placement at SCSU is designed to assist you in starting your mathematics study at the appropriate level. Because research shows that students who enter courses at the proper level are more successful in college, a satisfactory ACT Math score is required for enrollment in entry-level mathematics or statistics courses (MATH 072, 112, 113, 115, 193, 196, 201 and STAT 193, 219). Students that have not taken the ACT exam will need to either (i) earn a sufficient score on the SCSU mathematics placement test or (ii) provide documented evidence of successful completion of prerequisite course work before they may enroll in one of these courses. In addition, note these important points:
1. Any student may enroll in MATH 070, Basic Math Concepts.
2. To enroll directly in a calculus course, MATH 211 or MATH 221, or in MATH 113 or in STAT 239, you must take and earn a satisfactory score on the Accuplacer College Level Mathematics test.
3. Students that do not believe their ACT Math score accurately reflects their mathematical preparedness may also take the mathematics placement test (the Accuplacer) before enrolling in their first mathematics course at SCSU.
4. Though there is no fee, a student must have an appointment to take a placement exam.
STAT 193, 219, 239
MATH 072, 112, 113, 115, 193, 196, 201, 211, 221
CHECK this CHART to see if you are qualified for the course you wish to take.
|ACT Math score minimum||
Students with an ACT Math score below 16 should speak with an advisor. We recommend taking MATH 0380 through St Cloud Technical and Community College.
If you have taken or are currently taking a mathematics course you must follow the sequential order recommended by the Department of Mathematics and Statistics. You are no longer eligible to test to enroll in a higher level mathematics or statistics course.
TO MAKE AN APPOINTMENT FOR PLACEMENT TESTING
- To make appointment Remember: Appointments are necessary, and space is limited.
- NOTE: These appointments are NOT for students attending Advising Days.
- A student may take a mathematics placement test no more than twice in a 12 month period.
- A student who is currently taking or has taken a mathematics course may not retake a placement exam for a higher course placement. Once you are enrolled or have taken a mathematics course a placement score will not allow you to change to a higher course.
Students who have tested at SCSU within the past two years or successfully completed (with a grade of C- or better) prerequisite courses need not retake the test.
TO VIEW YOUR PLACEMENT SCORE
- Access SCSU online registration system.
- Click on "Grades and Transcripts" tab on the left hand side of the page. (Under Student e-Services).
- Click on "Degree Audit Report" tab also on the left hand side of the page. (Under Grades and Transcripts).
- Scroll down on this page to the section labeled "Legend".
- Underneath the "Legend" section are all test scores including your placement score.
- Refer to placements documents below to determine which course you should take.
- ACCUPLACER scores are valid for two years
- ACT Math scores dated prior to May 1, 2013 are valid for 4 years. ACT Math scores dated May 1, 2014 - May 1, 2015 will be valid for 3 years. ACT Math scores dated after May 1, 2015 will be valid for 2 years.
- Upon expiration of an ACT Math score, placement is based on an Accuplacer score.
If you need to brush up your skills before enrolling in college, Mindquest Academy offers online classes to Minnesota adults who may not be college-ready.
Practice placement tests from various universities:
- http://web.stcloudstate.edu/mathpl/practice/ (ignore textbook references)
Some helpful practice tests are available at: